The Royal College of Surgeons of England is a professional membership organisation and registered charity, which exists to advance surgical standards and improve patient care. We support 20,000 members in the UK and internationally by improving their skills and knowledge, developing policy and guidance, and carrying out projects to improve surgical care.
With a full programme of exams and courses, we equip surgeons with the skills they need throughout their careers. High-quality patient care is at the heart of our work, and we also maintain an innovative research programme through donations and legacies.
Joining the College
Find out about College MembershipJoin Us
College Mission Statement
The Royal College of Surgeons of England is committed to enabling surgeons to achieve and maintain the highest standards of surgical practice and patient care.
- Supervise training of surgeons in approved posts
- Provide educational and practical workshops for surgeons and other medical professionals at all stages of their careers
- Examine trainees to ensure the highest professional standards
- Promote and support surgical research in the UK
- Support audit and evaluation of clinical effectiveness
- Provide support and advice for surgeons in all stages of their careers
- Provide a mechanism whereby trusts can seek independent advice
- House a current and historical information resource centre for surgeons in the library and museums
- Act as an advisory body to the , health authorities, trusts, hospitals and other professional bodies
- Collaborate with other medical and academic organisations in the UK and worldwide
- Seek to convey the importance of, and provide support for, good, effective communication and interpersonal relationships between patients and surgeons
What we don't do
- Register or license surgeons to practise nor have responsibility for disciplinary actions; this is the responsibility of the General Medical Council (GMC)
- Process complaints from patients; this is another responsibility of the GMC or a function of individual hospitals
- Recommend individual surgeons to patients or offer patients medical advice; the College recommends that patients always seek referral through general practitioners