The aim of this intensive five-day course is to help surgical trainees prepare for the newly-designed Intercollegiate MRCS Part B examination (MRCS OSCE). The focus of the course will be on the applied basic surgical sciences (comprising anatomy, pathology, physiology and critical care), which together, make up nearly 40% of the OSCE examination. This course is designed for postgraduate trainees who are preparing for the Intercollegiate MRCS Part B examination (MRCS OSCE). The minimum entry requirement is foundation year 2; for further details, see target audience/suitability section below.
The course fee is £1000 or £900 for those who are enrolled in STEP® Core (at the time of application).
Date2 - 6 September 2013
LocationThe Royal College of Surgeons of England
FeeFull Course Fee: £1000.00
STEP Core: £900.00
Contacteducation@rcseng.ac.uk or 020 7869 6300
|Application form||Register your interest|
In keeping with the ethos and format of the MRCS Part B examination, the course will focus on the applied surgical aspects of anatomy, patho-physiological basis of disease and on critical care physiology. It will also provide ample practice in facing the structured OSCE style vivas in the basic sciences.
Professor Vishy Mahadevan
The Barbers' Company Professor of Anatomy
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
Target Audience / Suitability
FY2, CT 1 – 2
Applicants for the course must have passed both MCQ papers in Part A of the Intercollegiate MRCS examination.Am I suitable?
- Interactive problem-solving exercises including data interpretation of laboratory and clinical investigations
- Small group tutorials
- Anatomical demonstrations
- Mock orals
5 days (Monday-Friday only)
The course aims to provide an opportunity to improve your skills across the full range of relevant examination techniques, by means of:
- Lectures, providing a sound theoretical foundation in the basic sciences;
- Small group tutorials in topographical and surgical anatomy using anatomical prosections, radiographs and bones; and physiology tutorials in data interpretation.
- Mock viva sessions based on the format of the examination.
What you get
Copies of the following textbooks:
- Applied Surgical Physiology Vivas (Kanani & Elliot)
- Surgical Critical Care Vivas (Kanani)
'An excellent course that I really enjoyed. I learnt a great deal and consolidated more. The teaching was excellent and interactive. A really enthusiastic bunch.'