This page contains information on dates and fees for exams administered by RCS. View the
All applications must be received by 5pm on the closing date advertised. Please read the following information before applying for any exam.
Proof of identity
Please be aware that candidates must bring proof of identity to each exam. Proof of identity must be an official document, such as a current passport or driver’s license which includes his/her name, signature and a photograph. Candidates who do not bring the required documents to the exam will have his/her results withheld until proof of identity has been provided.
Learning disabilities guidelines
Candidates applying for extra exam time or any other extra allowances need to supply a full educational psychologist’s report with their exam application form. For the purpose of these examinations, the minimum age at which a candidate should have had their educational assessment completed is 20. We will also accept an educational assessment that has taken place within 26 months of the actual exam.
All candidates applying for extra allowances should apply to sit their exams in London.
Candidates must submit this report with their exam application form. Candidates applying online should send the original copy of their educational psychologist’s report to the Examinations Department within one week of applying. Reports sent at a later date will not be considered. All reports will be returned at the candidate’s request.
Surgical examination dates disclaimer
In the event of candidate numbers being too great to facilitate the completion of the exams within the specified time period, the Royal Colleges of UK and Ireland, with prior agreement from the Intercollegiate Committee for Basic Surgical Examinations, reserve the right to make alternative arrangements and extend the time announced for the exams within reasonable limits.
- The Intercollegiate MRCS Part A is held in centres throughout England.
- The Intercollegiate MRCS Part B OSCE is held at the London and Sheffield centres.
- Refugee Doctors and the MRCS
- Copies of the regulations governing the examinations and the relevant application forms for individual exams may be obtained from the Examinations and Assessment Department or downloaded from either the dental or surgical sections.
- Applications for admission to any examination must reach the Examinations and Assessment Department no later than 5pm on the date shown under the heading applications and fees due table.
- Completed application forms must be accompanied by the fee and by such certification as is required by the regulations. Applications must in no circumstances be delayed even if some certificates may not be available by the required date. Outstanding certificates must be forwarded within seven days of the closing date.
- Instructions for attendance at examinations are not dispatched until about 14-10 days before the start of the examination.
- Visa letters will only be issued after the closing date for an exam, and when the application has been checked and the candidate is eligible. Requests for a visa letter must be made in writing.
- A candidate who withdraws his/her entry or is absent for an exam and wishes to sit on a later occasion is required to submit a further application form and fee by the appropriate closing date. Applications are not carried forward from one examination to another.
- A candidate who withdraws entry prior to the applications deadline will receive a refund minus an administration charge. This is currently 20% of the fee and is subject to revision at any time.
- Refunds for candidates who withdraw after the closing date will only be given for medical or compassionate reasons with supporting evidence.
Candidates will be examined on one day within the dates given. Requests for specific dates will not be taken.