New Intercollegiate Fellowship Examination for the International Surgical Community
The four Royal Surgical Colleges (Edinburgh, England, Glasgow & Ireland) announce the introduction of a new suite of Intercollegiate Fellowship Examinations for the international surgical community. The new examinations will be known as the Joint Surgical Colleges’ Fellowship Examination (JSCFE), success in which will result in the qualification FRCS (College) (Int) (Specialty). The JSCFE will have peaarity of standard with the existing UK/Ireland Intercollegiate Fellowship examination and, on successful completion of the examination candidates will be eligible for election as a fellow to any of the four Royal Colleges.
For more information, including how to apply, please see the JSFCE website.
The first JSCFE will be held in early 2013 in the specialty of General Surgery.
The JSCFE will comprise two sections:
- Section 1 will be delivered in professional test centres via computer-based testing.
- The initial diet for Section 2 will be held in Dubai, with the subsequent diet being run in Sri Lanka.
Locations for future diets will be publicised in due course. The fees for Sections 1 and 2 are £520 and £1,785 respectively. Success in Section 1 will be a pre-requisite for entry to Section 2.
- Candidates would normally have passed the MRCS examination of one of the four Surgical Royal Colleges.
- Alternatively, candidates would have successfully completed a locally recognised surgical training programme in that specialty.
- The examination will assess at the standard of the UK and Ireland Fellowship examinations. Applicants will be required, therefore, to provide verification that this level has been reached in their training and/or clinical experience prior to sitting the examination. The supporting endorsement would normally be provided by the trainers or senior colleagues.
- The final decision on eligibility for admission to the examination will lie with the Joint Surgical Colleges Fellowship Examinations Subcommittee.
Applications will be managed using an online application system.
International Examinations Office
2 Hill Place
Edinburgh EH8 9DS
Tel: 0131 319 8015 Fax: 0131 662 9444