Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
Log in
Home › Faculty of Dental Surgery › Trainees from Overseas (NACPDE)

Trainees from Europe and Overseas (NACPDE)

The National Advice Centre for Postgraduate Dental Education (NACPDE) provides information for qualified dentists about:

  • working in the UK;
  • general or specialist training;
  • and studying for a postgraduate degree or diploma in the UK.

Immigration regulations for the UK

Further information for:

Information about:

Arranging an Appointment

Overseas or EEA-qualified dentists wishing to obtain careers advice for working in the UK may make an appointment to meet the postgraduate advisor in London. Interviews can only be arranged by appointment.

Once your appointment has been confirmed, please bring with you the following documents:

  • Passport/photocopy of passport
  • GDC correspondence
  • Copies of results of exams taken
  • Degree certificates
  • CV


You will need to complete the form below and send it via email to the NACPDE before you arrange an appointment.

Please complete all parts of the form and email it to

On receipt of the completed form, the NACPDE will contact the dentist to arrange an appointment.

If you are planning to come to the UK it is important to plan ahead to avoid any unnecessary disappointments.

Firstly it is important that you know what you want to do in the UK.

For all purposes you will need to check that you have the correct entry information or immigration requirements.

If you are planning to register and work as a dentist in the UK you will need to contact the General Dental Council (GDC) for advice about registration. You may be required to pass an English language test, the IELTS, before you can enter for the overseas registration examination or LDS. The IELTS can be taken in many countries and it can save time if you already have the required results for this test before you come to the UK.

If you want to study for a higher university degree in the UK, you will have to contact the individual universities for information about course content, duration of study, whether the course is full-time, part-time or if distance learning is an option. Each university has its own fee structure and you will need to contact the university directly about this.

Should you wish to find out more information on exams which are held at the various Royal College of Surgeons throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland please view the following links:

Once you have read through this website, should you feel you still have unanswered questions, please contact the NACPDE office to arrange an appointment.

Other useful documents and publications

Studying and living in Britain

This book is published by the British Council and updated each year.

This guide to overseas students and visitors provides international students and visitors with basic information on immigration, customs, accommodation, medical treatment, public services and many other aspects of life in Britain.


Postgraduate dental deaneries

In the UK postgraduate clinical training is provided and co-ordinated by postgraduate dental deans. The UK is divided up into different regions, each with a postgraduate dean.

Find out more about postgraduate deaneries and contact details.