Tier 5 International Training Fellows
The Faculty of Dental Surgery (FDS) of the Royal College of Surgeons of England is able to sponsor suitably qualified postgraduate dentists to come to the UK for clinical training in an approved hospital training post. All enquiries must be made via the NACPDE, email: email@example.com.
Criteria for acceptance on a tier 5 programme
All applicants must:
- have gained suitable experience in their home country
- have no rights of residence in the UK or EEA
- be proficient in English, with satisfactory IELTS English language score or have English as their first language, having had their dental tuition in English and have practised for at least 2 years in a country where the predominant language is English
- have been offered a tier 5 training opportunity in the UK
- have a scholarship or means of financial support from their employer (hospital, university, college)
- intend to return to their home country after training to put into practice the training that they have received in the UK
Refugees and those applying for asylum in the UK or another EEA country are not eligible to apply.
Applicants are advised to look at the UK Border Agency website for details of the Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange, Medical Training Initiative (MTI).
The mechanism for setting up these posts is not the same for dentistry as it is for medicine.
Posts should be offered by a consultant working in an NHS hospital in the UK and should be agreed by the postgraduate dental dean. Posts must have a minimum duration of three months and a maximum duration of two years. Please note that short term training experience in a tier 5 post covers a specific subject and is not regarded as the same as a UK specialist training post and cannot contribute to specialist training in the UK. Suitable posts would include:
- one tailored to the specific training requirements of the international training fellow
- a locum appointment for training (LAT) of longer than three months but which does not have an NTN or lead to a CCST or FTTA.
- an international fellowship or scholarship (commonwealth, overseas government, etc)
Temporary registration with the GDC
If you are successful in being accepted for a tier 5 post in the UK, you will need temporary registration from the GDC to cover the period of clinical training. The NACPDE will contact the GDC to inform them that you have been allocated a post under a tier 5 visa and will supply the GDC with specific details of the post. At this stage you should apply to the GDC for temporary registration. The GDC requires the following forms to be sent to them:
- a correctly completed temporary registration application form which is available on request from the GDC
- UK NARIC certification of your primary dental degree.
- confirmation letter from NACPDE
- an original certificate of good standing
- appropriate registration fee for temporary registration with the GDC
To avoid any delay in starting your post the GDC requires the above information in order to grant temporary registration. Failure to provide the above information and any further information requested will result in a delay in the start of your training.
The following posts would not be deemed suitable for the tier 5 scheme:
- posts that are more than 50% research
- posts leading to a CCST or an FTTA
- posts in private hospitals
- posts in primary care
- locum appointments for service (LAS)
Funding of posts
Posts may be funded by scholarships, by overseas hospitals, colleges and universities or be extant funded posts not filled by an EEA dentist.
- possess a primary dental qualification recognised by the GDC for temporary registration
- meet the English language requirements
- have completed a recognised higher dental qualification
- have completed a minimum of 4 years postgraduate dental clinical practice with at least one year in the specialty in which they are seeking further training in the UK
- provide the GDC with a certificate of good standing and medical information at the time of applying for temporary registration
Applicants will be required to provide:
- a completed application form A
- an overseas sponsor's form
- copies of the IELTS form or exemption details
- certified copies of dental examinations together with English translations if the originals are not in English
- a letter from the UK hospital confirming their appointment
- An initial application fee of £110. This is not refundable. Cheques should be made payable to The Royal College of Surgeons of England and sent to the NACPDE, Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 35-43 Lincoln's Inn Fields, LONDON WC2A 3PE.
If you think that overseas dentists could be accommodated in your unit please complete Form B and return it with the following information:
- a timetable together with details of the supervisor for each session
- contact details for your human resources/medical staffing unit
- details of your postgraduate dental deanery
The NACPDE will consider applications and may request further information.
Remember that these posts require time to set up - so please plan ahead.