Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
Log in

Employment in the UK

If you come to the UK to work, you will need to be registered with the General Dental Council and also have the correct visa to work.

In the UK you may find that employment hours may be different from those you are used to in your home country. Remember to be punctual for patients or appointments and be prepared not to finish work on time. When you come to work in the UK you have to register for a National Insurance number and immediately start paying National Insurance contributions in the UK on the same basis as other people who normally live and work here.

In the UK there is an equal opportunities pay policy for men and women. In addition there are well defined laws on employment discrimination including racial, religious and sexual harassment. You should be familiar with these laws before starting work.

Before you apply for a job it is important to prepare your curriculum vitae (CV). Your CV should be accurate, contain no spelling mistakes and have a concise and consistent style. It is important to present your previous employment experience in a way which does not make any unsupportable claims. If you have never had to prepare a CV, the NACPDE can help you.

Some posts do not ask you for a CV.  Many posts that are advertised online require you to demonstrate how your clinical experience matches to a "person specification".  These advertised posts usually will send with the Application Form a "Job Dececription" tohether with the person specification.

Explore this section to find out more about employment in the UK for overseas dentists.