FGDP(UK) members who do not hold MJDF status can use the Athens service to access to online resources, such as journals, anatomy.tv and the MEDLINE and Embase services for literature searching. You can find out more about Athens here.
Fellows, Members, Affiliates and Associates of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, including members of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (FDS) and of the Joint Dental Faculties (MJDF), no longer use Athens directly and can use their College login for this purpose. If you are having problems with this system, please refer to the College logins help page.
Obtaining your Athens login
A username and password is automatically generated and emailed to new members within a few weeks of joining the FGDP(UK), provided they have supplied a valid email address. (A valid email address is required to activate the account: please contact email@example.com if you have not registered one.)
Resetting a forgotten Athens password
If you have forgotten your password, the fastest option is to use the MyAthens password reset facility (or from the MyAthens homepage, follow “login help” and then click the option to reset your password). You will need to know your username and have access to the email address you registered with the College – the reset password will be sent to this account.
Alternatively, if you do not have your username, have changed email address or simply would rather talk to us, please contact us. We will usually respond to your enquiry within one working day. Please note that we cannot retrieve an existing password but we can issue you with a new one.
Changing an Athens password
You can change your Athens password through the MyAthens website.
Please note that it is not possible to change your username.
Athens accounts from other organisations
A number of other organisations, including the NHS and many universities, also use Athens in this way, but the various services are completely separate. It is not possible to use an NHS-provided account to access College-provided resources, or vice versa, for example. Our subscription selection is, however, designed to complement those offered by the NHS and other organisations.
Notes for using the Athens login
- You should be able to use your Athens username wherever an 'Athens login' option is offered - but this will not give you access to resources to which we do not subscribe
- You cannot login to the RCS or FGDP(UK) sites with your Athens account
- Once you have logged-in once via Athens, this should carry over to other Athens sites in the same browser session. Some sites may not check your login session when you first access them and will assume you are not authorised: you can usually prompt them to check by clicking on 'Athens login'
- You can find more information about this in our help page for the specific website
- Do not login a second time!
Still confused? Contact us and we will be happy to help:
+44 (0) 20 7869 6556 / firstname.lastname@example.org