The Library and its services are available to:
- Fellows and members of The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Members of the Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK)
- Affiliates of The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Associates of The Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Researchers with an interest in aspects of surgery, medicine, anatomy or any other aspect of the Library's collection. The historical collection is particularly strong, and we have resources for family history research too. You will need to make an appointment prior to using the Library so we can prepare material in advance.
The Library also contains temporary exhibitions about aspects of the history of surgery or medicine, which anyone is welcome to view.
We are happy to try to help you get started with your research, or identify other libraries or information services if we don't have the right collections for your research.
To join the Library, you will need to fill out an application form (available as a Word Document or PDF). We’ll also need to see some photographic identification on your first visit. By joining the Library, you agree to abide by the library's regulations.
Use of the Library and its services is at the discretion of the Director of Library and Surgical Information Services, and is dependent on compliance with the library's regulations.
If we cannot help, there are other libraries and information sources that are freely accessible to the public: