Miss Kathryn Harley, Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry, has taken up her post as Dean of the Faculty of Dental Surgery (FDS) of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS). Miss Harley was elected in October and assumes the role from Professor Derrick Willmot.
Miss Harley has been a FDS board member since 2002, and most recently chaired its Postgraduate Education Committee. As Dean, she will continue to ensure that FDS Fellows, Members and Trainees maintain the highest standards of clinical practice and patient care across the dental specialities. She will also continue to support the work of the Odontological Collection, and represent the Faculty on the Royal College of Surgeons Council.
Miss Kathryn Harley, Dean of the Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons, said:
“It is an honour to have been elected as FDS Dean of the Royal College of Surgeons; in post it will be my priority to support the Faculty to advance dental standards and patient care. During my tenure, I also hope to improve Inter-Faculty relationships, move towards implementing Tri-collegiate Speciality Membership examinations and ensure that views from Members and Fellows across the Dental Specialities are reflected in the work that we do.”
Miss Harley graduated from Guy’s Hospital Dental School in 1981 and completed a Masters degree in Conservative Dentistry at the Eastman Dental Institute in 1986, where she was appointed Consultant and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Paediatric Dentistry in 1991. In 1999, she was appointed Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry at the Edinburgh Dental Institute where she is currently Head of Department. In 2010, Miss Harley completed 10 years as a member of the Board of Dental Protection Limited, having been Chairman for the last four.
The FDS Dean is elected for a three-year term and is supported by two Vice-Deans, currently Professor N Hunt and Mr M Davidson, from the Faculty of Dental Surgery Board.
Notes to Editor
1. The Royal College of Surgeons of England is committed to enabling surgeons to achieve and maintain the highest standards of surgical practice and patient care. Registered charity number: 212808. For more information please visit www.rcseng.ac.uk
2. The Faculty of Dental Surgery of the Royal College of Surgeons of England is committed to achieving and maintaining the highest standards of clinical practice and patient care across the dental specialities. For more information please visit www.rcseng.ac.uk/fds
3. If you have any queries please contact:
- Matthew Worrall – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; T: 020 7869 6047
- Elaine Towell – Email: email@example.com; T: 020 7869 6045
- Heather Casey - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; T: 020 7869 6042
- Out-of-hours: 07966 486 832