Join us for special evening and weekend events to see the collections in a new light.
From Hunter to Helmand: Military medicine then and now
14 - 15 November 2014
This two-day conference will cover the advances in military medicine over a period of 250 years.
Bringing together medical and military history experts, as well as current serving military medical staff, this event will span the development of military medicine from the time of John Hunter in the 18th century through to current campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq. Crimea, the Napoleonic era, both World Wars and the Falklands will all be covered, as will key topics such as military nursing, naval surgery and military psychiatry.
Subjects and speakers include*:
- Dr Simon Chaplin, Wellcome Library, John Hunter as Army Surgeon
- Mr Michael Crumplin FRCS, Some Gain through Pain - Early Nineteenth-century Military Medicine
- Dr Katherine Foxhall, Leicester, Medical Experimentation in the Post-Napoleonic Navy
- Sir Barry Jackson FRCS, Medicine and Surgery in the Crimea
- Professor Christine Hallett, Manchester, Nurses and Wound Sepsis in the First World War
- Peter Starling, War is the Only Proper School of the Surgeon
- Dr Andrew Bamji, The Role of the Great War in the Advancement of Facial Reconstruction
- Professor Joanna Bourke,Birkbeck, ‘Howling in Chorus like Cats on a Roof': The Experience of Surgery during the Second World War
- Professor Mark Harrison, Oxford, Managing the Wounded In World War Two
- Professor Edgar Jones, KCL, Shell Shock and its Relevance for Afghanistan
- Professor James Ryan, From the Falklands to Afghanistan: Radical Change in the Care of War-Injured Soldiers
- Surgeon Capt. Mark Midwinter, Driving Performance Improvement - Learning from the Past and Improving the Future
Tickets include refreshments and delegates lunch. Delegates can choose to attend one or both days.
Friday 14 November, 09.30-17.30 - Concessionary* (students, retired, serving military)
|Friday 14 November, 09.30-17.30 - Full||£50.00|
|Saturday 15 November, 09.30-17.00 - Concessionary* (students, retired, serving military)||£20.00|
|Saturday 15 November, 09.30-17.00 - Full||£50.00|
Tickets can be purchased by calling 020 7869 6568.
This event is part of our War, Art and Surgery exhibition and events season, visit our dedicated microsite to find out more.
Please join our mailing list to be kept up to date with this and other events.
*This conference has been generously supported by the Wellcome Trust's small grants scheme, and subsidised places for students, serving military personnel and the retired are available.