Achievements so far
Some of the PLG's recent achievements include:
- Lay representatives taking part in College pilot visits to try to establish a mechanism for ongoing checks for surgeons, known as revalidation.
- Surveying medical schools up and down the country to ask about arrangements for communication skills training.
- Working with the education and examination departments in developing and assessing initiatives specific to communication skills.
- Drafting information for surgery patients.
- Contributing to the development of College documents (eg Good Surgical Practice), which sets out what is to be expected of surgeons.
- Drafting documents on behalf of the College, such as the College's response to the Bristol Royal Infirmary Inquiry seminar on empowering the public in the healthcare process; the Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board; a Keeping the NHS Local publication.
- Assisting the College respond to key consultation documents.
- Lobbying the DoH to concourage the NHS executive to take responsibility for the commisioning and distributing of patient information leaflets.
- Bringing a lay voice to all parts of the College via membership of its committees and the College Council.