Rapid review times
The average time from submission to first decision in the Annals in 2013 was 27 days. For research and review articles this figure was 24 days. Download a full breakdown of review times in the Annals and Bulletin in 2013.
The Annals offers routes to both green and gold Open Access publication, with low APCs for gold Open Access. Go to our Open Access section for more details. The Annals is also available free of charge in low-income countries through the Hinari scheme.
High visibility in the field of surgery
The Annals and Bulletin are distributed in print to nearly 20,000 surgeons in the UK and abroad, as well as to numerous institutional subscribers.
Your work will be visible to a global audience. Annals articles are listed and linked in several major abstracting and indexing sites, including PubMed, Ebscohost and Ovid, and all papers are uploaded to PubMed central after one year and made freely available to download. Across PubMed and our own platform, RCS journals averaged 180,000 page views a month in 2013.
View a list of our most-cited articles from 2008–2010 through Google Scholar.
View a list of our all-time most-cited articles.
The Annals' impact factor has been growing year on year for nearly a decade, rising to 1.329 in 2012, up from 1.231 in 2011.
The Annals now accepts submissions of video content to accompany all types of articles. For more details please visit our instructions to authors page.
- No page charges.
- Rigorous peer review from a large pool of expert editors and reviewers, with full reviewer feedback provided.
- Active media promotion: our in-house PR team will promote selected papers through press releases and work with traditional media, and through social media.
- Inexpensive reprint service for authors, plus PDFs available free of charge to authors on request.
All submissions to the Annals and Bulletin must be made through our online manuscript system. The College uses ScholarOne for the submission and peer review of journal articles.
Please note! - for those who have papers submitted to the OJS, you will still be able to access your submissions shortly. The OJS is still down due to the damage caused by the Holborn fire. Please keep checking as we are working to get this back up and running.
Articles submitted through any other means, including email, post or fax, will not be accepted.
Please follow the link below and click 'register here' to create an author account, if you have not submitted through this system before.
Please read our instructions to authors before making your submission.
Submissions are welcomed from all authors - you do not need to be a member of the RCS to submit.
Enquiries and assistance with submissions
- If you wish to contact the Publications Department you can email email@example.com or telephone 020 7869 6168. Article submissions will not be accepted via email to this address.
- User guides for authors and reviewers can be found on the ScholarOne page.