ACCEA update: July 2015
The recent ACCEA newsletter gives an update on the number of applicants this year, the 2015 timescales for decisions on new and renewal applications as well as a reminder on upcoming deadlines for local appeals in process at June 2014. Read the ACCEA newsletter.
Clinical Excellence Awards 2015
The ACCEA 2015 application round is now open and will follow a similar format to previous years. The timetable is extremely tight, the ACCEA closing date is 5pm on 17 June 2015.
There are no new additional funds for Awards so it is a very competitive process.
Please read the ACCEA guidance carefully.
If you would like to be considered for Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS) support then email your completed ACCEA Application Forms (saved as an attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org by:
- 12 noon on Thursday 30 April 2015 for Platinum awards.
- 12 Noon on Wednesday 6 May 2015 for Bronze, Silver and Gold awards.
Please note that we must have newly completed forms for renewal applications by the same date.
Late applications will not be scored.
Enquires please contact: email@example.com
The RCS is registered as a nominating body and the RCS CEA committee comprises of representatives across a wide range of specialties, plus a lay member.
The RCS does not normally provide support for local awards. For those considering applying at the Bronze level you must consider carefully the implications of leaving any local award scheme. If you decide to apply nationally and wish to be considered by RCS or your Surgical Specialty Association you will need to comply with the timetable of the sponsoring organisation.
If you are likely to move employer or retire in the next 18 months you should ask the ACCEA for their advice.
The ranking lists and citations which our organisations supply are considered to be important supplements to the evidence contained in the CVQs. It is encouraged you apply to both your specialist association and the RCS England for a place on their ranking list. If you wish both organisations to consider your application, you must send your CVQ to both organisations as we do not exchange CVQ information.
The responsibility for the online submission of applications to ACCEA rest firmly with the applicant. The ACCEA deadline is 5pm on 17 June 2015.
Frequently asked questions on the application process can be accessed here.
The summary of changes from last year’s process can be found here.
Feedback from 2014 round
We are aware of some concerns that were raised following the 2014 round:
- The ‘hero to zero’ phenomenon of those whose Bronze award is not renewed is of particular concern. Many of these people will previously have been on six or more local CEA’s. Such people in retrospect may have been substantially financially and reputationally disadvantaged by ‘success’ in achieving a Bronze which has subsequently been withdrawn.
- Potentially large losses in pension benefits
- The variation in scoring and the impact this could have on applications depending on the region.
- The impact of applying for national leadership roles and the apparent lack of recognition at some award levels.
- Some Trusts appear to have suspended the local CEA scheme - leading to a further erosion of opportunity.
We continue work on your behalf to advocate on these issues with the ACCEA. We are also speaking with the Academy of Royal Medical Colleges on the same basis.
Any urgent enquries please contact Rob Finch: firstname.lastname@example.org