International Medical Graduates
ISTP eligibility criteria
In order to be eligible for the ISTP you must:
- be working within an ISTP Partner Institution
- be resident overseas at the time of application to the scheme and have no rights of residence in the UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland
- hold a primary medical qualification recognised by the GMC and have it ECFMG verified
- have completed an acceptable internship (or equivalent) of not less than twelve months following undergraduate training
- have completed at least 3 years of full-time clinical practice/training (equivalent to ST3 or above in the UK) since obtaining their primary medical qualification, including the most recent 12 months. Clinical attachments/observerships do not count
- have passed the MRCS (UK) or hold an acceptable alternative qualification
- have not previously attempted the General Medical Council (GMC) Professional and Linguistics Assessment Board (PLAB) test
- achieved a minimum score of 7.0 in each category of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic, and an overall score of at least 7.5 or a grade "B" in each testing area of the medicine version of the Occupational English Test (OET).
ISTP Handbook for IMGs
Please read the IMG Handbook which details the International Surgical Training Programme, from application, to acceptance, placement and what to expect while you are in the UK, right through to completion of your post and receiving your Certificate of Completion.
Please email us, or phone us on 0207 869 6053 if you have any questions that are not answered in the handbook.
Get in touch
The International Office is the main point of contact for all queries from international surgeons and stakeholders who wish to find out more about opportunities and ventures overseas.
Telephone +44 (0)20 7869 6053
We are able to answer calls Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm