Surgical Societies in Partnership with RCS
RCS is keen to support medical students interested in a surgical career and is aware of the excellent work that university surgical societies do in this area. For this reason, we have introduced our In Partnership scheme.
By joining this scheme, you will be able to tell your colleagues and partners - including potential sponsors - that you work In Partnership with the College. You will be able to use the College logo in your publicity materials, including your website. We will also list your society on our website as being In Partnership with us.
Applications and eligibility criteria
If you would like your surgical society to be In Partnership with the College, we will need the following from you:
- A named contact in the society and evidence of a handover process so that we don’t lose touch when this person leaves.
- Your society’s written constitution, including an open and fair committee appointment process.
- Confirmation from your university that yours is the only surgical society at the medical school.
- Written support from a Fellow of the College.
- Annual update of activities.
Please email to request an application form, if you would like to join the scheme.
Following successful application, you will need to complete an annual return form confirming any changes to personnel or committee structure. You will also need to provide an update of your activities at least once a year.
In Partnership status must be renewed during handover each year by completing a renewal form.
There are a number of things surgical societies In Partnership with the College are expected to do:
- Include a link from your surgical society website to the College’s website.
- Agree to distribute relevant information from the College to your members (only where this would directly benefit society members and would not contravene data protection law).
- Appoint a contact from within the Committee (this could be a specific role, or be made part of another position) whose responsibility it is to receive communications from the College and to act upon them/disseminate them appropriately.
- Complete a handover form during the final term of each academic year, detailing the contact details for the new contact.
- Not imply that any individual activity has been directly approved by the College or is run by the College – where the logo is used, it must be made clear that the Surgical Society as a whole is in partnership with the College, not the individual activity or event.
- Only use the College logo and name within the branding guidelines we will provide.
- Include a phrase on your society website to the effect that 'the Royal College of Surgeons of England does not accept responsibility for the actions of this surgical society'.
- Inform the College of any major changes to the structure of the society and any other factors which may affect your eligibility.
The College reserves the right to remove In Partnership status if the surgical society does not adhere to these conditions or acts in a way which would bring the College into disrepute.
Surgical Societies currently In Partnership with the College:
- Brighton and Sussex Medical School Surgical Society
- Exeter Surgical Society
- Hull Surgical Society
- Imperial College School of Medicine (ICSM) Surgical Society
- Kings College London Surgical Society
- Leicester INCISION
- Liverpool Surgical Society ('Surgical Scousers')
- University of Manchester Surgical Society - Scalpel
- Newcastle University Surgical Society
- Norwich Undergraduate Surgical Society
- Nottingham SCRUBS Student Surgical Society
- Plymouth Undergraduate Surgeons
- Sheffield Surgical Society
- Southampton Surgical Society
- UCLU Surgical Society
- Warwick Medical School Surgical Society
- York Surgical Society