2021 Trauma Competition call for Abstracts
The American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma (ACS COT) has announced a call for abstracts for the 2021 Residents Trauma Papers Competition. This is a highly prestigious competition and the winner from our region (Region 15) will be flown out to the Annual Conference in the US to present their paper in competition with other regional winners from around the world. Papers will be presented during the scientific session on Thursday 11 March 2021. All regional winners are expected to attend the COT banquet on Friday 12 March 2021, where the winners of the national competition will be announced.
The competition is open to all general surgery residents, surgical specialty residents and trauma fellows. Only abstracts not published prior 30 March 2021 as full papers in in any peer-reviewed journal are eligible for participation.
The abstracts should describe original research in any aspect of trauma care. The topics must be categorised as either: 1) basic laboratory research or 2) clinical investigation. Two abstracts from each ACS COT region (one abstract from each category) are submitted for consideration for presentation at the national meeting, but only one will be selected for the national competition.
Time schedule for submission of papers
Please submit your abstracts by email to Agi Gizzi, Education Programme Manager at RCS England (email@example.com) by 7pm on 8 November 2020. The winning abstracts in each category will be submitted to the Regional Chief and ATLS European Association (AEA) for participation at regional level.
The Region Chief will submit two copies of each winning abstract (one blind copy with only the paper’s title for judging and one with the principal author’s name, institution, phone, fax, and email) to the Trauma Office at ACS. A pre-selected panel of judges from the COT will rank these abstracts and select a balance of basic and clinical abstracts representing each of the COT regions by early January 2021. Each regional winner will be notified shortly thereafter.
Specifications for preparation and submission of abstracts
- The abstract should be no more than three pages and provide adequate information and objective data to evaluate the abstract properly
- The abstract must be submitted electronically as a Word document. It is permissible to single-space the abstract. Charts and graphs may be embedded in the document as .jpeg files
- The paper must have a title page (not included in the page count) which includes the principal author’s name, the title of the abstract, the author’s institution, the author’s preferred mailing address, telephone number and email address. (Please use our title page template).
- The first page of the abstract should include the full name of the principal author, with degrees, and the full title of the abstract
- Please submit one blind copy with only the paper’s title for judging and one copy with the principal author’s name, institution, phone, fax, and email.
Additional information about the competition can be found on the ACS website.