Basics of Dento-alveolar CBCT Interpretation
This hands-on course is designed to train dentists to interpret and write reports on CBCT scans limited to dento-alveolar regions. The course content is modified from the “Level 2” training criteria published in the latest European guidelines.
This course is jointly hosted by the British Society of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology (BSDMFR) and the Royal College of Surgeons of England and is delivered by experienced consultant dental maxillofacial radiologists.
- 1 day
- 6.00 CPD Points
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of anatomy of the tooth-bearing portions of maxilla and mandible
- Understand artefacts that may occur in CBCT images
- Determine the location and orientation of impacted teeth and relationship to ID canal, maxillary sinus and other adjacent structures
- Correlate CBCT scans with conventional 2D radiographs
- Handle CBCT datasets for various clinical applications
- Use radiological terminology to describe abnormalities
- Describe important diseases including malignancy affecting the dento-alveolar regions
- Write CBCT interpretation reports for the dento-alveolar regions
- Identify when to refer cases for a second opinion or over-read
The course combines theoretical and practical aspects of radiological interpretation.
Participants will be given a chance to practise many clinical case studies which will work develop their confidence in the handling of datasets and interpretation of findings.
The small group teaching format will enable each participant to gain personal tutor attention and enable them to progress at their own pace. Laptop computers will be provided to minimise disruption.
CBCT machines have been commercially available for over 10 years. More and more dentists are using them to diagnose complex clinical problems. The IRMER regulations require that all diagnostic images are evaluated clinically.
Topics covered include:
- Normal anatomy of the teeth and supporting structures
- Variations of normal anatomy; including aging and normal healing after extractions/surgery
- Orthogonal anatomical planes; multiplanar reconstruction; field size, voxel size
- Viewing and reformatting CBCT images (e.g. rotate image, panoramic reformat, change grey scale latitude, surface rendering, thresholding)
- Artefacts (machine factors, patient factors)
- Local rules, patient identification, justification and optimisation
- Use of existing appropriate radiological information
- Recognising good and bad scans; 2-point quality scale
- Important diseases affecting the dento-alveolar regions
- Signs of malignant and benign lesions
- Radiological terminology and describing lesions
- Analysing and answering the clinical question
- Writing a structured report
- Communicating with patients and colleagues
- Data protection, information governance
How to apply
Please return you completed application form to:
Faculty of Dental Surgery
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
35-43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields
London WC2A 3PE
PGCert in Surgery Associated Course
You will be awarded 5 credits toward the Postgraduate Certificate in Surgery upon booking this course.
Royal College Of Surgeons Courses
Here is an overview of the programme
Full price: £450.00
Please note, we require full payment upon booking. Please note that there is a fixed cancellation charge of 10%. Cancellations made 4 weeks prior to a course will result in no refund. While we make every effort to run courses as advertised, we reserve the right to change the timetable and /or the teaching staff without prior notice and to cancel any courses without liability - in which case there will be a full refund of course fees to participants.
LONDON, United Kingdom
86 Edgware Road
View in Google Maps
Not got an account?
Don't worry, continue and we'll create an account for you.Continue to Booking
Alternatively if you need to book offline you can apply here
Register your interest
Contact the education team
If you have a question about a course please don't hesitate to get in touch. Remember to tell us which course you are referring to.