Operative Skills in Neurosurgery
This interactive course focuses on the core neurosurgical techniques and clinical knowledge essential for advancing a career in neurosurgery.
You will benefit from the unique opportunity to perform a wide range of neurosurgical, cranial and spinal procedures using unembalmed cadavers and state of the art equipment. All sessions take place under the direct supervision of experienced faculty.
This course is supported by
- 3 days
- 15.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Carry out a variety of cervical dissections, posterior and anterior approaches
- Carry out the operative technique of cervical dissection with discectomy, foraminotomy and corpectomy.
- Dissect to reveal cervical roots, discs, nerve roots and vertebral artery
- With regard to the surrounding anatomy carry out lumber spine dissection
- Review the surface anatomy and anatomical landmarks relevant to frontotemporal craniotomy
- Carry out a bifrontal craniotomy with identification of olfactory tracts, optic nerves and anterior cerebral artery complex.
- Carry out bone flap replacement using various fixation techniques
- Midline prone exposure of posterior fossa with identification of venous sinuses, arteries and cranial nerves
Each session will be introduced by a short interactive lecture.
You will cover a wide variety of topics during this three-day course:
- High speed drill training
- Spinal anatomy
- Cranial anatomy
- Introduction to use of the operating microscope and endoscope
- Anterior and posterior approaches to the cervical spine
- Posterior approach to the craniocervical junction
- Posterior approach to the lumbar spine
- Frontotemporal craniotomy
- Bifrontal craniotomy
- Parasagittal craniotomy
- Posterior Fossa
10% discount on this course for RCS members
Members, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please register your interest and we will email you when the next dates are announced.
Register your interest
Contact the education team
If you have a question about this course please don't hesitate to get in touch.
We always aim to respond as soon as possible during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. Please call us with anything urgent.
Telephone: 020 7869 6300
We are available to take calls during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. There is a voicemail outside these times.
Fax: 020 7869 6320