Operative Skills in Neurosurgery
This interactive course focuses on the core neurosurgical techniques and clinical knowledge essential for advancing a career in neurosurgery.
You will benefit from the unique opportunity to perform a wide range of neurosurgical, cranial and spinal procedures using unembalmed cadavers and state of the art equipment including operating microscopes and endoscopes. All sessions take place under the direct supervision of a faculty of experienced neurosurgeons.
This course is supported by
This course has been accredited by, but is not being delivered by the RCS. Please contact Vesalius Clinical Training Unit directly for queries or to book your place.
- 3 days
- 15.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Carry out a variety of cervical dissections, posterior and anterior approaches
- Carry out the operative technique of cervical dissection with discectomy, foraminotomy and corpectomy.
- Dissect to reveal cervical roots, discs, nerve roots and vertebral artery
- With regard to the surrounding anatomy carry out lumber spine dissection
- Review the surface anatomy and anatomical landmarks relevant to frontotemporal craniotomy
- Carry out a bifrontal craniotomy with identification of olfactory tracts, optic nerves and anterior cerebral artery complex.
- Carry out bone flap replacement using various fixation techniques
- Midline prone exposure of posterior fossa with identification of venous sinuses, arteries and cranial nerves
Each session will be introduced by a short interactive lecture.
You will cover a wide variety of topics during this three-day course:
- High speed drill training
- Spinal anatomy
- Cranial anatomy
- Introduction to use of the operating microscope and endoscope
- Anterior and posterior approaches to the cervical spine
- Posterior approach to the craniocervical junction
- Posterior approach to the lumbar spine
- Frontotemporal craniotomy
- Bifrontal craniotomy
- Parasagittal craniotomy
- Posterior Fossa
|Course date||Course location||Course fee||How to apply|
|7 - 9 November 2018||Vesalius Clinical Training Unit
Centre for Applied Anatomy
|£1330 (course dinner provided)|| Please email
email@example.com or call 0117 928 7489 / 0117 928 7404
For more information about this course and how to book your place, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0117 928 7489 / 0117 928 7404