Otolaryngology (ENT) for General Practitioners
This one-day practical skills course is designed for GPs with an interest in ENT, enabling you to reinforce and develop your knowledge of the basic ENT concepts and techniques.
You will refresh your clinical skills in assessment, examination, tissue handling and the use of relevant surgical instrumentation, with interactive feedback from lead clinicians throughout.
- 1 day
- 6.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Manage techniques of common ear conditions including otitis externa, otalgia, middle ear infections and glue ear
- Discuss when to refer airway problems, facial nerve palsy, tonsillitis and sudden sensorineural hearing loss as an ENT emergency
- Understand the possible causes of dizziness plus the possible management options
- Carry out otoscopy and tuning fork testing and then interpret results
- Carry out anterior rhinoscopy
- Examine effectively the oral cavity/oropharynx with headlight and two tongue depressors
- Carry out the sequence of examination of the neck and facial nerve examination and describe the grade of palsy
- Carry out Dix Hallpike / Epley manoeuvres
- Review the methods for managing epistaxis including cautery and nasal pack insertion from simple tampon
Experienced faculty will give interactive feedback throughout each session.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Management of common ear conditions including glue ear, middle ear infections and Otitis External
- ENT emergencies – learning when to refer for a range of problems including airway problem, facial nerve palsy and tonsillitis
- Hoarseness and lump in neck
- ENT instruments
- Difficult or controversial areas of ENT and primary care
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please register your interest and we will email you when the next dates are announced.
Register your interest
Contact the education team
If you have a question about this course please don't hesitate to get in touch.
We always aim to respond as soon as possible during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. Please call us with anything urgent.
Telephone: 020 7869 6300
We are available to take calls during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. There is a voicemail outside these times.
Fax: 020 7869 6320