Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery (PBAS)
Why take this course?
Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery is an accredited online course that forms part of the Intercollegiate Cosmetic Surgery Certification Scheme. The Cosmetic Surgery Certification Scheme is designed to recognise and promote high standards and good practice.
The course has been developed by The Royal College of Surgeons of England in collaboration with the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons.
Professional Behaviour is one of the most significant areas that impacts on patient satisfaction, quality and safety in aesthetic surgery.
Course participants complete approximately 13 hours of online learning developed by subject matter experts before attending a two-hour virtual classroom facilitated by expert faculty. Both the online learning and virtual classroom are mandatory and you will not be able to attend the virtual classroom before completing the online learning.
Please note that the ‘Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery’ course is just one element of the Cosmetic Surgery Certification Scheme. Attending the course alone, does not certify an individual under the Cosmetic Surgery Certification Scheme. If you wish to apply for Certification, you can register and begin your online application prior to completing the ‘Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery’ course.
We strongly recommend commencing your online application as soon as possible, as it will take a little time to complete. If you require further information regarding the ‘Cosmetic Surgery Certification’ scheme, please contact the helpdesk.
Participants will have to complete the course (e-learning and virtual classroom) within six months of enrolment. Please ensure that you have the availability to complete the course within the above timescale.
Currently we have availability on the virtual classroom dates listed below. Please note that you have to complete the e-learning before you can book a place on a virtual classroom. Places are allocated on first come, first served basis.
- 26 April 2021
- 21 June 2021
- 1.75 days
This course is suitable for participants that meet the eligibility criteria for the Intercollegiate Cosmetic Surgery Certification Scheme, which are available here: https://www.certify-cosmeticsurgery.org.uk/eligibility-for-certification
After completing this course you should be able to
1. Adhere to the GMC guidelines for cosmetic surgery, including full appraisal, as well as the CMA guidelines on financial disclosure
2. Define the features underpinning the specialty association standards of ethical practice (BAAPS/BAPRAS)
3. Critically analyse your financial, ethical and legal (GDPR, CMA, ASA, MHRA, ICO Cert) relationship to your patients
4. Be aware of high levels of psychological vulnerability in cosmetic patients
5. Have a clear process for assessment and management of such vulnerability including pathways for psychological support
6. Describe and apply your own ethical marketing pathway, including your competencies, experiences and qualifications
7. Identify a pressure sales situation and avoid incentivised marketing techniques
8. Maintain a personal standard of professional competency in the areas where you practice and develop a reflective skill set
9. Establish a multi-disciplinary team of professionals for maintaining best practices (second opinion)
10. Contrast a well-informed and an ill-informed patient, and recognise each patient’s particular medical and financial considerations in the short, medium and long term
11. Describe the features of a safe, supportive consultation process (CQC standard)
12. Communicate effective postoperative care procedures with both healthcare professionals and patients
13. Explain how to professionally manage patient complaints and complications, as well as your professional indemnity obligations
Important Booking Information
Before booking your place on the ‘Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery’ course, please be advised of the following information:
• Participants will have to complete the course within 6 months of enrolment. Please ensure that you have the availability to complete the course within the above timescale.
• Course participants will have to submit their completed online certification application within 12 months of completing the course (or the course must be repeated).
If you are a newly qualified CCT / CCST holder, please ensure that you:
- Meet all of the criteria for certification before registering on to the ‘Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery’ course, or expect to do so within the time limits specified above.
- This includes meeting the minimum criteria within the ‘Operation Numbers’ section within the certification scheme.
- If you are unable to certify within 12 months after completing the course, you will be required to repeat the ‘Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery’ course.
Please note, if you are unable to meet the above criteria within the given timescales, you can register for the ‘Professional Behaviours in Aesthetic Surgery’ course later, when you are able to do so.
Contact email@example.com if you require further information.
The course covers the following topics:
- Professional guidelines
- Indemnity insurance
- Professional competency
- Reflection and ethics
- Psychological issues in cosmetic practice
- Ethical marketing
The consultant journey
- The consultation process
- The well-informed patient: a surgeon’s legal obligations
- Conveying the risk
- Post-operative care
- Complaints and complications
Online course - one date for all participants
Please note that the dates above are for administrative purposes only. You will have access to the e-learning for 6 months from the date of purchase.
Full price: £475.00
Please note, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at the cancellation policy first.
ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING, United Kingdom
Location:The Royal College of Surgeons of England
ONLINE DISTANCE LEARNING
View in Google Maps
Not got an account?
Don't worry, continue and we'll create an account for you.Continue to Booking
Register your interest
Contact the education team
Need to talk to us about courses or other RCS education services? Please get in touch.
The RCS Education Centre in London can be contacted directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.