Strategies in Emergency General Surgery
This interactive two-day course uses real-life case studies to enhance your knowledge and refine your decision-making in managing the emergency general surgery patient.
Delivered through a combination of CT imaging analysis, case studies, and interaction with experienced faculty, you will have a greater understanding of emergency general surgery and be able to make more informed decisions for your patients.
Designed for specialty trainees in general surgery, SEGS is mapped to the ISCP requirements for Emergency General Surgery at Final l and Final ll levels.
This course is supported by Acelity and Toshiba.
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an enhanced understanding of emergency general surgery, helping you to make the best decisions for your patients and improve outcomes
- Describe the importance of CT scanning in the modern management of the emergency general surgery patient
- Be prepared for the common and not-so-common pitfalls of emergency surgical practice
This practical course combines guided exploration of full CT data sets on CT workstations with scenario presentations, evidence reviews and small group discussions based around real patient journeys.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Emergencies of the lower gastrointestinal tract
- Emergencies relating to the oesophagus and stomach and complications of bariatric surgery
- Emergency presentations of pancreatic and biliary disease
- Mid-gut emergencies
- Vascular emergencies
- Emergencies relating to hernias
- Management of soft tissue infections
- Common paediatric surgical emergencies
- Human factors training
Alert card for this course
The introduction of a simple alert card to guide communication between junior surgeons and consultants has been shown to significantly reduce potentially harmful communication breakdowns during inpatient care.
View and download a printable PDF version of the alert card for the Strategies in Emergency General Surgery course.
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please register your interest and we will email you when the next dates are announced.
Register your interest
Contact the education team
Need to talk to us about courses or other RCS education services? Please get in touch.
The RCS Education Centre in London can be contacted directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.