Training the Trainers: Developing Educator Skills
Why take this course?
This intensive blended learning course will deepen your skills as an educator, improving your approach to planning, developing, delivering and evaluating.
A mix of online learning, a virtual 1-2-1 session and in-person practical sessions, Training the Trainers will enhance your skills as a clinical educator and prepare you for dealing with some of the common challenges you may encounter in your surgical career.
- Extensive online modules
- 1-2-1 virtual session with faculty prior to face-to-face day (approx 2 weeks prior to course date)
- Face-to-face training day
- Follow-up online learning
This course includes interactive online learning which will enhance your learning experience. Participants will also benefit from attending a 1-2-1 session with faculty prior to the face-to-face day, to help you further prepare for a practice training session.
Training the Trainers has been designed specifically for clinicians and the unique environment they work within. Every aspect of this multi-modal course has been developed by clinicians and educators for clinical educators. Other, generic teaching skills courses do not compare.
The course is currently going through the RCS England accreditation process and is expected to be worth 12 CPD points.
RCS members discounts
All RCS Members and Fellows, including Affiliate and Surgical Care Team members receive a 40% discount on the standard price. Affiliate membership is just £15 per year and is open to all medical or dental students studying at a UK university and to all Foundation, Core surgical or dental trainees who have not yet passed their MRCS or MJDF/MFDS.
You can join as a Surgical Team member if you are a Surgical Care Practitioner, Surgical First Assistant, Physician Associate, Advanced Nurse Practitioner or an Advanced Clinical Practitioner. We also offer a discounted rate for Student Surgical Team members, if you are currently studying you can join the College for just £15 per year.
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
This course is suitable for all career grades: FY1-2, CT1-2. ST1-8, consultants, SAS/LED grades and the extended surgical team.
This course is designed for anyone involved in the delivery of surgical training, either locally or as a member of the RCS faculty.
Overall course learning outcomes:
- Recognise the role and professional responsibility of the trainer in surgical or dental education
- Apply elements of adult educational theory to achieve effective outcomes for participants
- Recognise opportunities and challenges of teaching
- Deliver and receive effective feedback
- Describe the purpose and effective use of the assessment
- Use a structured 4-stage model to teach a psychomotor skill
- Apply teaching in face-to-face and virtual environments
You will cover a variety of topics during each component of this course.
Module 1: online learning and one-to-one session
- Key educational theory concepts, and how these apply to clinical education delivery and evaluation
- Short tests to consolidate your knowledge of these concepts
- Preparation for practice training on the face-to-face day
- A short video on examples of practice training
- A 30-minute virtual session with a member of the faculty to further prepare for your practice training session. You will be contacted by email to arrange a date for this session.
Module 2: Face-to-face day
- A deeper look at the educational theories underpinning adult learning and how these apply to surgical education
- One-to-one instruction, varied teaching methods and an introduction to assessment
- You will deliver a one-to-one training session and a seven-minute talk. This needs to be prepared in advance.
Module 3: online learning
- How to plan and implement change in your teaching
- Reflection on the changes in your teaching practice and the impact of these changes
Take a look at a sample Training the Trainers programme
Please note that registration for this course closes two weeks before the start of the face-to-face day. This is to ensure you have time to complete the first online learning sessions before the start of the face-to-face day and take part in the 1-2-1 session with faculty.
40% discount on this course for RCS members
Members, Affiliates, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 40% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking. Please contact us if you do not think it has been applied. Find out more about joining today.
PGCert in Surgery Associated Course
You will be awarded 4 credits toward the Postgraduate Certificate in Surgery upon booking this course. (The inclusion of courses in the PGCert in Surgery is subject to availability)
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please register your interest and we will email you when the next dates are announced.
Register your interest
Further information and queries
You can get in touch with us by emailing email@example.com Please quote your RCS account number in all correspondence.
If your enquiry relates to a course please provide the course name and dates.
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8.30am–5:00pm, Monday–Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.