Certificate in Minor Oral Surgery (CMOS) and Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS)
The Certificate in Minor Oral Surgery awarded by the Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK), provides dental practitioners with invaluable hands-on oral surgery experience.
Participants must undergo a summative assessment at the end of the oral surgery course to be awarded the DPCOS qualification.
The Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS) will replace the CMOS
For application to the Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery examination, please complete the application form.
- In order to be eligible for admission to the final assessment, participants must complete to the satisfaction of relevant teaching staff the prescribed period of study and satisfy any other conditions as which may be prescribed within the programme (including attendance at all course unit days and successful completion of all course assessments).
- 25 completed cases should have been approved, from which the participant will be required to submit and will be assessed on two.
- The final assessment will be in the form of a 40-minute viva examination. Each candidate will be assessed by two examiners on two submitted cases.
- One or more cases may be selected in order to demonstrate that the participant has had a thorough understanding of the scientific and clinical principles underlying the treatment that has been undertaken.
- The participant should demonstrate the ability to recognise any shortfall within the material that has been presented, identify the improvements that could be made and demonstrate what he or she has learnt from it.
- The participant should have demonstrated creative thought processes in the management of the problems that were faced and demonstrated the ability to search for a satisfactory solution.
The full course syllabus for the Certificate in Minor Oral Surgery can be found at the FGDP website.
How to apply
The Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS) is a two year programme with a final assessment in the form of structured clinical reasoning and portfolio submission at year 2.
Please note: Certificate in Minor Oral Surgery cases for examination should be submitted in electronic (USB) format to the Examinations office at The Royal College of Surgeons of England. Candidates should then bring paper copies of the cases with them on the day of the exam.
For the Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery examination the Portfolio needs to be submitted to the FGDP Education office at The Royal College of Surgeons of England by 18th January 2019
All applications must be received by 5pm on the closing date. Please read our exams guidance before applying.
|Title||Deadline date for submitting cases||Exam date||Course & exam fee|
|Certificate in Minor Oral Surgery (CMOS)||14 December 2018||9 February 2019||TBC|
|Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS)||14 December 2018||9 February 2019||TBC|
Contact the exams department
All dental exam queries (excluding the MJDF) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your enquiry. We will reply to you as soon as possible.
For general exam queries please call 020 7405 3474
Our main switchboard is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
The ORE helpdesk is open 10am - 12pm and 2pm - 4pm, Monday to Friday.