Navigating a surgical career in Northern Ireland
185 Stranmillis Road
Northern Ireland View in Google Maps
- RCS/ ASiT/ Scrubs member £20, Non- member student ticket £35, Non-members other £50
Regrettably we have had to postpone the event on 8 February 2020. We will have a new date available shortly. Please check back for more information. If you have any queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We have teamed up with Northern Ireland Regional Representative for the Association of Surgeons in Training and Queen’s University Belfast SCRUBS undergraduate surgical society, to provide you with an overall insight into surgical career pathways regionally.
As your career progresses from medical school student through to trainee and onto surgeon, you will go through a number of stages that all have a level of competitive entry.
Choosing a career in surgery is simultaneously both rewarding and challenging, so, we aim to ensure that you are supported throughout every stage of your career and all the processes you undertake. Click here to find out more about what the benefits of becoming an RCS member and what we can offer you as a medical student or trainee.
The aim of the day is to prepare you for every hurdle that may arise and eradicate any surgical myths whether you are a medical student, foundation year trainee or higher surgical trainee, so the day will be split in order to accommodate every career grade with the specific tools necessary.
How will I benefit?
Attending this event will provide:
- Insight into experience of getting into surgery
- Tips and discussions on the transitions
- Helpful and practical tips from inspiring surgeons
- An insight into how the RCS and other organisations are working to support your pathway
The programme includes sessions on:
- Experiences of getting into surgery
- Portfolio clinics
- Dealing with the transitions
- Surgical myth busting
- Mark Taylor (Northern Ireland Regional Director)
- Niall McGonigle (Core training programme director)
- Trevor Thompson (Head of School)
- Martin King (Northern Ireland Regional representative, ASiT)
- Dharmesh Valand (President of Queen’s University Belfast SCRUBS)
- Board Members
- Members of Faculty
Regrettably, this event has been postponed. The new date will be released shortly, please check back on this page for updates.
Post Event Information
Here is some information about the event after it has been closed