International Surgical Training Programme (ISTP)
The International Surgical Training Programme (ISTP) comes under the generic Medical Training Initiative (MTI) scheme and provides a route for high quality International Medical Graduates (IMGs) to obtain sponsorship for GMC registration and the Tier 5 visa so that they can undertake training and development in UK hospitals for a maximum of 24 months.
The aim of the scheme is to:
- contribute to improving the quality of healthcare internationally
- provide overseas surgical trainees with a period of training and development in the UK before returning to their home countries where their patients and colleagues can benefit from the skills and experience they have obtained in the UK
- foster relationships between UK hospitals and international institutions
- support the UK’s international development objectives.
The College is committed to providing a training opportunity which benefits the overseas surgical trainee, their home country and the UK hospital/institution in which they will be working.
IMGs eligible to register for an ISTP post must:
- be working within an ISTP overseas partner organisation
- be resident overseas at the time of application to the scheme and have no rights of residence in the UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland
- hold a primary medical qualification recognised by the GMC
- have completed an acceptable internship (or equivalent) of not less than twelve months following undergraduate training
- have completed at least 3 years of full-time clinical practice/training (equivalent to ST3 or above in the UK) since obtaining their primary medical qualification, including the most recent 12 months. Clinical attachments/observerships do not count
- have passed the MRCS (UK) or hold an acceptable alternative qualification
- have not previously attempted the General Medical Council (GMC) Professional and Linguistics Assessment Board (PLAB) test
- achieved a minimum score of 7.0 in each category of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), and an overall score of at least 7.5.
Should you require any further information, please email us or call 020 7869 6634.
Get in touch
The International Office is the main point of contact for all queries from international surgeons and stakeholders who wish to find out more about opportunities and ventures overseas.
Telephone +44 (0)20 7869 6053
We are able to answer calls Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm