Providing a quality mark for surgical education
From an evening’s continuing professional development (CPD) event to a year-long Master's programme, the RCS England accredits a wide range of surgical education activities.
We want to ensure these activities provide a high-quality learning experience for those who participate. We do this through the process of accreditation, verifying the quality of the educational event and checking participants’ comments and level of satisfaction.
We offer education providers a wide range of benefits, including*:
- review by leading surgeons and recommendations on quality enhancement;
- the award of CPD points;
- use of the RCS England logo;
- listing on the RCS England website and/or Accreditation Portal, and in the RCS publication the Bulletin;
- use of RCS England evaluation support, including questionnaire development, analysis and reporting;
- advertising discount.
*benefits vary according to accredited activity
Our Accreditation Portal has further information on how to apply for accreditation.
Orthopaedic Evaluation of X-Rays Course (21 July 2021)
Venue: Welsh Institute for Minimal Access Therapy (WIMAT), Cardiff, Wales
Overview: The Orthopaedic Evaluation of X-Rays (OEOX) is a one-day course that provides participants with the knowledge necessary to make safe evaluations of trauma radiographs and minimising the chances of missing fractures.
The course is aimed at healthcare professionals, such as junior doctors, early middle grades, trauma nurse practitioners and surgical care practitioners involved in the care of trauma patients presenting with fractures.
For booking and further information please contact Joseph Boktor on firstname.lastname@example.org
UCH Education Centre - Preparation for FRCS (Tr&Orth) Course (15 September 2021)
The emphasis of this RCS England accredited national course is on technique and aims to provide a framework early in the trainee's preparation for understanding the nature of the FRCS (Tr&Orth) exam, develop strategies for optimising revision and for maximising scoring in the Viva and Clinical Examinations.
For more information and to book please visit here
RCS Senior Clinical Fellows awarded certificates June & July 2020
Congratulations to these RCS England Senior Clinical Fellows who were awarded their Fellowship certificates in June 2020:
- Eimer Monaghan - Chichester St Richard’s Fellowship in Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery, Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust;
- Tarek Katbeth - Sunderland Bariatric Fellowship, City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust;
and to the Fellow awarded their Fellowship certificate in July 2020:
- Ashwin Tamhankar - Lister Urological Robotic Fellowship, East & North Hertfordshire NHS Trust.
RCS Senior Clinical Fellowship programme approval June 2020
In June 2020 the RCS England and the Surgical Specialty Associations approved the:
- Mid Glamorgan Post-CCT Rhinology and Facial Plastics Fellowship approval, Royal Glamorgan Hospital Wales and University Hospital of Wales Cardiff (with ENT UK)
- Portsmouth Robotic Oesophago-gastric Fellowship approval, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust (with AUGIS)
Courses and centre accreditations May & June 2020
In May & June 2020 the RCS England accredited and reaccredited the following centres:
- Aesculap Academy (Czech Republic & Poland)
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Incision Academy
- BD Health
RCS Senior Clinical Fellows awarded certificates May 2020
Congratulations to these RCS England Senior Clinical Fellows who were awarded their Fellowship certificates in May 2020:
- Saiful Miah - Addenbrooke’s Uro-oncology Fellowship, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Jonathan Chua - Colchester Laparoscopic Colorectal Fellowship, The ICENI Centre, Colchester Hospital
- Nicholas Battersby - Frimley Park Laparoscopic Colorectal Fellowship, Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Ben Byrne - Guy's Oesophago-gastric Cancer Fellowship, Guy’s & St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- Anthony Rotman - Imperial College Laryngology Fellowship, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Jeremy Williamson - Leeds St James Laparoscopic Colorectal Fellowship, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
- Richard Green - Liverpool Rhinology Fellowship, Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Omar Naser - Newcastle Female and Functional Urology Fellowship, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Darko Stipic - Nottingham Advanced Spinal Surgery Fellowship, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Anouk Borg - Oxford Pituitary and Anterior Skullbase Senior Clinical Fellowship, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Nicola Hodges - St Mark's Minimally and Maximally Invasive Colorectal Cancer (MiMICC) Fellowship, London North West Healthcare NHS Trust
- James Read - St Mark's Minimally and Maximally Invasive Colorectal Cancer (MiMICC) Fellowship, London North West Healthcare NHS Trust
- Matthew Bedford - Swansea Advanced Pelvic Oncology Fellowship, Swansea Bay University Health Board
- Andrei Ilczyszyn - UCL Bariatric and Metabolic Fellowship, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
RCS Senior Clinical Fellowship programme approval May 2020
In May 2020 the RCS England and the Surgical Specialty Associations approved the:
- NHNN Complex Epilepsy Fellowship, The University College London Hospitals Foundation Trust (with SBNS);
- Newcastle Paediatric Surgery Fellowship approval, Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Foundation Trust (with BAPS);
- Glasgow Advanced Colorectal / Pelvic Surgical Oncology Fellowship, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (with ACPGBI);
- Shrewsbury Bariatric Fellowship, The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (with BOMSS).
And reapproved the:
- Oxford Pituitary & Anterior Skullbase Senior Clinical Fellowship, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust (with SBNS)
Testimonies from event organisers
'It acts as a quality mark for any course or conference you organise'
'It adds additional value to our conference'
'It encourages event attendance'
'It ensures the delegates are receiving a high quality course, delivered by appropriate speakers'
(Source: RCS England survey of CPD event providers, 2015)