How to Join
There are different ways to become a member of RCS England, depending on your career stage. Find out more about our membership benefits and then follow the instructions to join below.
If you're unsure about the joining process or have questions, please get in touch with us. Our contact details are at the foot of the page.
- How to become a RCS Member/Fellow
- How to become a RCS Affiliate
- How to become a Surgical Team member
- How to become a FDS (Faculty of Dental Surgery) Member/Fellow
1. Via exam
Successfully completing the intercollegiate exams will enable you to apply to become a Member or Fellow of RCS England.
View our upcoming dates and locations for the surgical exams: MRCS Part A or Part B and FRCS
2. Transfer from another College
If you have passed the relevant exam and are currently a Member or Fellow of the Edinburgh, Glasgow or Ireland royal colleges, you can transfer to RCS England to take advantage of our membership benefits.
Please download and complete the relevant transfer form and send it to us by email:
3. Apply for fellowship ad eundem
Experienced surgeons who have not passed the relevant Fellowship exam may be eligible to apply through the fellowship ad eundem process.
Please send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrolled Membership is available to RCS England Dental Diploma holders who are not obligated to pay the Annual Statutory Subscription. Enrolled members may use the facilities of the College and have full voting rights in the election of an Enrolled Members’ Representative on the Board of Faculty.
You can join as an Affiliate if you are a medical or dental student studying at a UK university or a Foundation, Core surgical or dental trainee who has not yet passed their MRCS or MJDF/MFDS. If you are an overseas applicant, we will ask for evidence of a primary medical qualification as part of your application.
To register, please first register on this site then return to this page and complete a few further questions here to finish the online registration. If you experience any difficulties please email email@example.com.
You can join as a Surgical Team member if you are a:
- Surgical Care Practitioner
- Surgical First Assistant
- Physician Associate
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner
- Advanced Clinical Practitioner
We also offer a discounted rate for Student Surgical Team members. If you are currently studying you can join the College for £15 per year. If you wish to join as a Student Surgical Team member, please download this pdf application form and send this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility for Surgical Team members
If you have any questions about eligibility or the application process, please contact our membership support team. Please get in touch to find out more about our discounted Student Surgical Team membership.
- Surgical Care Practitioners: Completion of a two year programme at masters level, accredited by the College– comprising of both taught and practical elements AND registration as a healthcare professional e.g. nurse, operating department practitioner.
- Surgical First Assistant: Successful completion of a nationally recognised programme of study. There are two training routes:
- An in-house training package supported by the AfPP competency toolkit
- A University accredited programme, such as the College of Operating Department Practitioners’ BSc in operating department practice
(universities that offer accredited modules for SFAs must ensure that the programme offered follows the recommendations of the Perioperative Care Collaborative) AND registration as a healthcare professional (e.g. nurse, operating department practitioner)
- Physician Associates: Successful completion of a nationally recognised physician associate programme, including those accredited by:
- Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its successor agency, or by one of its predecessor agencies;AND have passed the Physician Associate National Certifying Examination (PANCE) administered by National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation (CAHEA)
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Advanced Nurse Practitioners: Successful completion of Master’s degree in advanced practice, AND registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council, AND currently working in a surgical care role.
- Advanced Clinical Practitioners: Applicants must be a registered nurse, midwife, SCPHN, health visitor, physiotherapist or pharmacist, or paramedic educated to at least degree level. AND practitioners must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), or General Practitioners Committee (GPC). AND currently working in a surgical care role.
If you have questions about your eligibility, don't hesitate to contact our membership team by email or by calling 020 7405 3474 (option 1). To apply, please complete the editable PDF application form* and equal opportunities monitoring form and send them to email@example.com.
Once your application has been processed, you will be contacted via email to arrange payment.
*Problems downloading or editing? Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
How to become a Faculty of Dental Surgery Member/Fellow
1. Via exam
2. Apply for ad eundem
Membership, Fellowship or Specialty Membership ad eundem is available to those who have passed a relevant equivalent examination with one of the other UK or Irish Colleges or are working in a post equivalent to consultant surgeon.
3. Enrolled Membership
Anyone who holds a non-membership RCS Dental Diploma (i.e. one that does not automatically oblige them to pay the Annual Statutory Subscription) and wishes to join the College, is eligible for enrolled membership. For an annual fee of £234, enrolled members may use the facilities of the College and enjoy all the benefits of membership except voting rights.
To apply, email us at F&Awards@rcseng.ac.uk with your completed application form.
- Membership ad eundum application form
- Membership ad eundem (without examination) application form
- Guidance for membership ad Eundem without examination
- Fellowship ad eundum application form
- Fellowship ad eundem (without examination) application form
- Guidance for fellowship ad Eundem without examination
- Enrolled membership
Contact us about membership
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss joining the College or any administration of your membership.
Thanks you for your enquiry. We will reply to you as soon as possible.
Telephone 020 7405 3474 (option 1) to talk with a member of our membership team
Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm.
Our membership office is on the ground floor of the main College building. Please ask for us at reception.
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
35-43 Lincolns Inn Fields
London, WC2A 3PE