The Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders Fellowship
The Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders Fellowship aims to encourage women to apply for senior and leadership roles in the RCS and in surgery. The year-long programme provides women with the opportunity to be involved in College activities, become familiar with how the College operates and encourages them to apply for Council and other leadership roles. The scheme has been generously supported by Lady Estelle Wolfson (Chair of The Lord Leonard and Lady Estelle Wolfson Foundation).
Miss Helen Fernandes was appointed as Council lead, and a steering group was established to design and implement the programme. The programme comprises of six days of College activity, spread across the year covering a range of meetings. The programme will be tailored to each participant’s interests.
Become an emerging leader in 2019/20
Recruitment for the 2019-20 cohort of the Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders Fellowship opens on 8 March 2019.
Applicants can apply by sending the completed application form via email to email@example.com or via post to:
The Royal College of Surgeons England
35-43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields
Applications will close at 12pm on Tuesday 30 April 2019 with telephone interviews to take place in May 2018.
Who is eligible?
- Female surgical or dental consultants, or SAS doctors.
- Applications from exceptional senior trainees will also be considered.
- Applicants must have confirmation of Trust support to participate in this activity if selected
- Applicants must be a member or fellow of the RCS.
- We would particularly like to see applications from more senior members of the profession who may not previously have had opportunity to be involved in these types of leadership activities.
Nicola Fearnhead, one of the 2015/16 fellows said of the programme:
“Having concentrated on delivering excellence in clinical care and training as a consultant surgeon for the past decade, the Lady Estelle Wolfson Fellowship programme has now offered unique insight into how the Royal College of Surgeons functions, and provided an opportunity to explore how one might usefully contribute to our profession in the future.”
- Laura Gartshore tells us why she is looking forward to taking part in the 2018-19 Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders Fellowship.
- Jenny Smith reflects on her experiences as one of the 2015-16 cohort of Emerging Leaders.
- An article about the 2015/16 Lady Estelle Wolfson fellows was also published in Medical Woman Magazine.