Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders applications now open
Gain first-hand experience of leadership
We are currently accepting applications for the Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders Fellowship submission date closes Sunday 18 October 2020, midnight.
The Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders Fellowship was developed to encourage women to apply for senior and leadership roles in the RCS and in surgery by providing opportunities to get involved with RCS activity. This year-long fellowship gives you access to RCS Council and Committee meetings, exposes you to leadership roles and gives you the confidence to apply for them in the future.
The programme comprises of seven days of activity, spread across the year covering a range of meetings. The programme will be tailored to each participant's interests.
The scheme has been generously supported by Lady Estelle Wolfson (Chair of The Lord Leonard and Lady Estelle Wolfson Foundation).
What does the programme consist of?
The year-long fellowship includes various activities throughout the year:
- Induction day
- Leadership workshop day
- Three committee meetings (e.g. RCS committees, SAC meetings)
- RCS Council meeting
- Evaluation day
You will also be allocated a Council link who will act as an informal mentor, offering advice, guidance and support on any matters you encounter throughout the year. We try to assign each Council link by specialty or region where possible.
Travel expenses will be covered in accordance with the RCS policy.
Who is eligible?
- Female surgical or dental consultants, SAS doctors or exceptional trainees.
- Applicants must be a member or fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons of England, or have submitted an application to transfer.
- Applicants must be based in the UK.
- We would particularly like to see applications from consultants who have not previously had opportunity to be involved in leadership activities.
- Applicants must have confirmation of Trust support to participate in this activity if selected.
How to apply
Due to COVID-19 we have postponed the deadline for applications until Sunday 18 October, midnight. Interviews will take place in November (date TBC) and the programme will commence in early 2021. Please do submit your application or any questions you might have, we will endeavour to keep you informed with any further updates about the on the programme in due course.
If you or someone you know might be interested in applying and would like further information on the fellowship, please get in touch with our careers team.
- Play a vital role in advancing surgical education and become RCS faculty.
- Lead our local engagement with members and help implement professional standards as a Regional Director. View the vacancies available.
- Sign up to our Women in Surgery network, and keep up to date with news and events on our Women in Surgery Twitter page.