Providing a quality mark for surgical education
A growing number of hospitals, medical organisations and medical equipment companies are providing a range of education courses for surgeons, face-to-face and online.
Often these courses are run at the provider's own centre, or the courses are developed by the provider and run at various locations in the UK and overseas. In addition, training providers offer stand-alone online learning courses, or a blend of distance and face-to-face learning.
The Royal College of Surgeons of England is keen to ensure and enhance the quality of courses offered by centres through its centre accreditation process.
The process involves a review of an entire surgical education centre. This includes assessment of facilities, resources and faculty; the education portfolio; and the infrastructure and quality management processes which underpin the delivery of the centre's educational product. RCS centre accreditation is only awarded where there is a clear demonstration of, and a broad confidence in, the quality of each of these components.
Accreditation gives the centre a degree of autonomy in amending its course portfolio and introducing new courses during the accreditation period, subject to RCS approval.
Benefits of Centre Accreditation
The benefits of centre accreditation include:
- expert review of the centre and all surgery-related course provision;
- use of the strap line ‘Accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons of England’ for a three year accreditation term (subject to satisfactory monitoring and review);
- use of the RCS Logo on materials and websites related to the centre, and each course run by the centre;
- peer review of all surgical courses from a panel of leading surgeons;
- listing on RCS Website;
- listing in RCS Bulletin;
- use of RCS participant evaluation materials;
- applicable courses will be awarded with Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points as part of course accreditation.
How to apply
RCS Accreditation process
Accreditation can be applied for on our Accreditation Portal, by registering for a free account and starting a new activity. For Centre applications, please email QA@rcseng.ac.uk to register your interest before starting your online application. Once an application has been submitted, the stages broadly follow the cycle shown below. Please also read the information required for centre accreditation.
Step 1 - Desktop assessment
Initial desk-based review of application for accreditation, including assesment of course participant feedback.
At each step of the process, the applicant may be asked for further information, or to amend the educational activity the provide, to meet RCS education standards.
Step 2 - Panel visit
If the application is viable, a visit to the education provider by an RCS review panel (including one or more senior surgeons) takes place. For Centre acccreditation, there may be multiple visits to asses more of the educational events offered.
Step 3 - Report writing stage
A report is written by a QA team member, including input from the RCS review panel, to be presented to the Quality Assurance Operational Group. This may include conditions and recommendations for the provider.
Step 4 - RCS Quality Assurance Operational Group meeting
The report is presented at the next QAOG meeting, which are held four times a year. Members of the QAOG discuss the application and the group makes a collective recommendation to approve or reject the application. This may include conditions and recommendations for the provider.
Step 5 - RCS Learning & Assesment Committee
The recommendation of the QAOG is presented to the L&A Committee, who make the final decision on awarding accreditation. If awarded, accreditation lasts for three years. Accreditation may be accompanied by conditions to be met or recommendations to be considered by the applicant. The accreditation is accompanied by ongoing monitoring of educational provision.
Accredited Centres and Organisations (UK)
The Welsh Institute for Minimal Access Therapy (WIMAT)
University Hospital of Wales, Medicentre Health Park, Cardiff, CF14 4UJ
Initially accredited July 2012, reaccredited January 2018 to December 2020
- Right Sided Course (Part of the Welsh Laparoscopic Colorectal Training Scheme);
- Left Sided Course (Part of the Welsh Laparoscopic Colorectal Training Scheme);
- Cardiff Current Literature Review for the FRCS Orth;
- NICERC National Intensive Care Exam Revision Course;
- Basic Minimally Invasive Surgery course for NMQ Professionals;
- Surgical Practitioner and Assistance Training;
- Cardiff Spinal Revision Course for FRCS Orth and FRCS SN;
- Cardiff Vertebra Augmentation Course;
- Cardiff Revision VIVA Course for the FRCS Orth;
- Cardiff Spinal Injection;
- Cadaveric Musculoskeletal Injection.
Newcastle Surgical Training Centre (NSTC)
Freeman Hospital, Freeman Road, High Heaton, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE7 7DN
Reaccredited July 2016-June 2019
- Laparoscopic Upper GI Cadaveric Course;
- Newcastle Aesthetics & Functional Septorhinoplasty Course;
- Newcastle Head and Neck Cadaver Dissection Course;
- Upper Limb Trauma Cadaver Course;
- Colorectal Robotic Surgery Cadaveric Dissection Course.
The ICENI Centre for Surgical Education and Research
The ICENI Centre, Colchester Hospital, Turner Road, Colchester, Essex, CO4 5JL
Initially accredited November 2013, reaccredited January 2018 - December 2020
- Gastrointestinal Anastomosis Workshop;
- Management and Surgery of Reflux Disease;
- Bile Duct and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery;
- The STEPS Laparoscopic Colorectal Foundation Course;
- Essential Surgical & Laparoscopic Skills for Medical Students;
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Course;
- Next Steps Part One ‐ Laparoscopic Low Rectal Surgery;
- Next Steps Part Two ‐ The Tricky Bits;
- Next Steps Part Three ‐ Laparoscopic IBD Surgery;
- Training the Trainer Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery (LAPCO TT);
- Basic Knee Arthroscopy;
- Basic Shoulder Arthroscopy;
- Making Surgery Safer;
- Minor Surgery Refresher for GPs.
The Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit (MATTU)
Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Manor Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7WG
Initially accredited July 2014, reaccredited January 2018 - December 2020
- Annual MATTU Oesophago-Gastric Cancer Course-Symposium;
- Arthroscopy of the Hindfoot;
- Colorectal Masterclass;
- Laparoscopic Cholecystecomy course;
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery for Theatre Personnel;
- Laparoscopic Extra Peritoneal Hernia Masterclass (TEPP);
- Laparoscopic Suturing Course;
- Sinus and Skull-Base Course;
- TME Masterclass;
- UK Forefoot Instructional Course.
July 2017- June 2020
A large number of stepwise overviews of orthopaedic operations, using a series of still images with accompanying text, annotations and CPD activities.
University College Hospital Education Centre
The UCH Education Centre, 250 Euston Road, London NW1 2PG
Accredited July 2017 - June 2020
- Basic Knee Arthroscopy;
- Train the Trainer;
- Enhancing Communication and Feedback Skills;
- Practical Preparation for Orthopaedic ST3 Interviews;
- Hands-on Gynaecological Laparoscopy Course.
Expert Connect Smith & Nephew Surgical Education Centre
Accredited January 2018 - December 2020
Plymouth Dental School
Plymouth University Penninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
Accredited January 2018 - Deember 2020
Edge Hill University Surgical Education Centre
Edge Hill University, St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 4QP
Accredited July 2018 - June 2021
The Edge Hill University Surgical Education Centre accreditation includes most of the pathways of the university's MSc Surgical Care Practice and all of the MCh Master of Surgery programmes.
West Midlands Surgical Training Centre
University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry, CV2 2DX
Accredited July 2018 - June 2021
Cambridge Postgraduate Medical Centre
Including the Evelyn Cambridge Surgical Training Centre, and the Addenbrookes Hospital Simulation Centre.
Accredited July 2018 - June 2021.
Aesculap Academy, Brockdal Road, Throncliffe Park, Sheffield
Accredited March 2019 - March 2022
A list of accredited courses can be found online. All courses run in the UK are covered by this accreditation.
Touch Surgery (Digital Surgery)
Touch Surgery Labs, 230 City Road, London EC1V 2QY
Accredited June 2019 - June 2022
A surgical simulation platform, with more than 200 surgical simulations across 14 speicalties. All are available for free through iOS and Android apps
Medical Education, Leeds
Covers teaching at three sites:
- Leeds General Infirmary;
- the LIMIT Centre in the Beckett WIng at St James' Hospital;
- the Cadaveric Simulation Lab at the Univerisity of Leeds.
Accredited June 2019 - June 2022
- The Urology Simulation Boot Camp;
- Central Venous Catheter insertion course;
- Leeds Seldinger Chest drain course;
- Leeds Implantable Devices for Surgical Skills;
- Bridging the Gap Essential Surgical Skills;
- Lumbar Puncture and Diagnostic Paracentesis course;
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy course.
21 Radnor Street, Manchester M15 5RD
Accredited July 2019 - July 2022
- PG Certificate in Restorative Dentistry;
- PG Certificate in Operative Dentistry;
- PG Certificate in Aesthetic Dentistry;
- PG Certificate in Dental lmplantology;
- PG Certificate in Advanced Dental lmplantology;
- PG Diploma in Prosthodontics;
- PG Diploma in Aesthetic Dentistry;
- PG Diploma in Restorative Dentistry;
- PG Diploma in Implant Prosthodontics;
- PG Diploma in Dental lmplantology.
Accredited Centres and Organisations (International)
Johnson & Johnson China
We accredit several centres in China as part of an ongoing relationship with Johnson & Johnson Medical China. Below is a list of all our currently accredited centres:
- J&J Medical Centres Shanghai. Initially accredited 2012, reaccredited January 2019 - January 2022. Accredited courses:
- Basic Laparoscopic Training Skills;
- Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma;
- Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Distal Gastric Cancer;
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Technique Training Course;
- Train the Trainers – Animal & Simulator Lab;
- Basic Training in Orthopaedic Technique;
- Urology Laparoscopic Course;
- Training Course for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery;
- Posterior-Only Approach for Total En Bloc Spondylectomy on Porcine Course;
- General Surgery Laparoscopic Course.
- J&J Medical Centres Beijing. Initially accredited 2012, reaccredited January 2019 - January 2022. Accredited courses are the same as above.
- Hua Xi Minimally Invasive Surgery Training Institute. Initially accredited 2013, reaccredited December 2016 - December 2019. Accredited courses:
- Kick-off course in Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery;
- Advanced Course in Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery;
- Kick off Training Course for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery;
- Advanced Training Course for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery.
- Guangzhou Minimally Invasive Surgery Training Centre. Initially accredited 2013, reaccredited 2018 – 2021. Accredited courses same as above.
- Guangzhou Nan Fang Minimally Invasive Training Centre. Initially accredited 2014; reaccredited 2018- 2021. Accredited courses:
- Kick-Off Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Gastric Cancer;
- Advanced Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Gastric Cancer;
- Kick-Off Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma;
- Advanced Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma.
- Training Centre of General Surgery. Accredited 2014 – 2017. Accredited courses:
- Kick off Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma;
- Advanced COE Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma.
- Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital. Initially accredited 2015, reaccredited January 2019 - January 2022. Accredited course:
- Laparoscopic surgical skills training.
- Minimally Invasive Skills Training Centre, Henan Cancer Hospital. Accredited December 2016 - December 2019. Accredited course:
- National Advanced Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy.
- Johnson & Changhai Neuro Interventional. Accredited January 2019 - January 2022.
Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital & Research Centre
Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital & Research Center, Near Mhatre Bridge, Erandawne, Pune 411004, India.
Initially accredited July 2016, reaccredited September 2019 - August 2022
- Core Skills in Laparoscopic Surgery;
- Hands on Course in Transoral Laser Surgery and Medialisation Thyroplasty;
- Core Skills in Knee Replacement Surgery;
- Basic Skills in Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopy;
- Basic Skills in Endourology.
Incision, Mauritskade 63 (room BD-1), 1092 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Accredited April 2017 - March 2020
Incision provides an large number of online surgical education courses via its website.
University of Sharjah (Medical & Dental)
We accredit both the Clinical and Surgical Training Centre and the College of Dental Medicine at the University of Sharjah, UAE.
The Medical School is accredited January 2018 - December 2020, and the Dental College July 2018 - June 2021.
If you have any queries about Surgical Education Centre accreditation that are not covered in our frequently asked questions, please contact the Quality Assurance Department at email@example.com or on 020 7869 6000.