Providing a quality mark for surgical education
A growing number of hospitals, medical organisations and medical equipment companies are providing a range of education courses for surgeons, face-to-face and online.
Often these courses are run at the provider's own centre, or the courses are developed by the provider and run at various locations in the UK and overseas. In addition, training providers offer stand-alone online learning courses, or a blend of distance and face-to-face learning.
The Royal College of Surgeons of England is keen to ensure and enhance the quality of courses offered by centres through its centre accreditation process.
The process involves a review of an entire surgical education centre. This includes assessment of:
- resources and faculty
- the education portfolio
- the infrastructure and quality management processes which underpin the delivery of the centre's educational products
RCS centre accreditation is only awarded where there is a clear demonstration of, and a broad confidence in, the quality of each of these components.
Accreditation gives the centre degree of autonomy in amending its course portfolio and introducing new courses during the accreditation period, subject to RCS approval.
Benefits of Centre Accreditation
The benefits of centre accreditation include:
- Expert review of the centre and all surgery-related course provision
- Use of the strap line ‘Accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons of England’ for a three year accreditation term (subject to satisfactory monitoring and review)
- Use of the RCS Logo on materials and websites related to the centre
- Use of the RCS Logo on materials and websites for each surgical course run by the centre
- Peer review of all surgical courses from a panel of leading surgeons
- Listing on RCS Website
- Listing on RCS Accreditation Portal
- Listing in RCS Bulletin
- Use of RCS participant evaluation materials
- Applicable courses will be awarded with Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points as part of course accreditation (where relevant)
How to apply
In order to apply for surgical education centre accreditation, a centre will need to demonstrate that it has the academic and administrative infrastructure required for surgical education provision.
RCS Accreditation cycle
Click each stage to find out more (if you're viewing on a mobile device you may have to scroll down for more info)
Initial desk-based review of application for re/accreditation, including assessment of course participant feedback.
At each step of the process, the applicant may be asked for further information, or to amend the educational activity they provide, to meet RCS Education Standards.
If the application is viable, a visit to the education provider by a RCS re/accreditation review panel - including one or more senior surgeons - takes place.
Report of the review panel to RCS Quality Assurance Operational Group. This may include conditions and recommendations for the provider.
If the QAOG supports accreditation for the application, it makes a re/accreditation recommendation to RCS Council. This may include conditions and recommendations for the provider.
RCS Council makes the final decision on awarding accreditation. If awarded, accreditation lasts for three years. Accreditation may be accompanied by conditions to be met and/or recommendations to be considered by the applicant. The accreditation is accompanied by ongoing monitoring of educational provision.
Information required for centre accreditation
The table below outlines the type of information that would be required as part of a centre accreditation application. The centre accreditation application should be supported by existing policy statements and data, as well as any additional information that may be appropriate. The Criteria and Standards for surgical education centre accreditation, the fee structure and further information about the process can be reviewed on the RCS Accreditation Portal.
Once accredited, centres are required in the period of accreditation to provide six-monthly updates to the RCS on the courses provided by the centre which are covered by RCS accreditation.
If an accredited centre plans to introduce a new educational activity during the period of accreditation, the centre is requested to inform the College about this activity before the new activity takes place. If the centre wishes to include the new activity in its ongoing portfolio of accredited courses included under the umbrella of RCS centre accreditation, the centre will need to provide full information to the College about the aims, structure and content of the activity at least two months prior to running the activity as an accredited course, in order that it can first be reviewed by the College. If the centre plans to cease provision of an educational activity included under the umbrella of RCS centre accreditation, it is required to inform the College about this as soon as possible.
|Appropriate Learning Environment||
|Effective Organisational Structure||
|Quality Assurance of the Centre's Provision||
Accredited Centres and Organisations (UK)
The Welsh Institute for Minimal Access Therapy (WIMAT)
University Hospital of Wales, Medicentre Health Park, Cardiff, CF14 4UJ
Initially accredited July 2012, reaccredited January 2018 to December 2020
- Right Sided Course (Part of the Welsh Laparoscopic Colorectal Training Scheme)
- Left Sided Course (Part of the Welsh Laparoscopic Colorectal Training Scheme)
- Cardiff Current Literature Review for the FRCS Orth
- NICERC National Intensive Care Exam Revision Course
- Basic Minimally Invasive Surgery course for NMQ Professionals
- Surgical Practitioner and Assistance Training
- Cardiff Spinal Revision Course for FRCS Orth and FRCS SN
- Cardiff Vertebra Augmentation Course
- Cardiff Revision VIVA Course for the FRCS Orth
- Cardiff Spinal Injection
- Cadaveric Musculoskeletal Injection
Newcastle Surgical Training Centre (NSTC)
Freeman Hospital, Freeman Road, High Heaton, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE7 7DN
Reaccredited July 2016-June 2019
- Laparoscopic Upper GI Cadaveric Course
- Newcastle Aesthetics & Functional Septorhinoplasty Course
- Newcastle Head and Neck Cadaver Dissection Course
- Laparoscopic Incisional and Groin Hernia Training (LIGHT) Cadaver Laboratory Course
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Cadaver Laboratory Course
- Upper Limb Trauma Cadaver Course
- Colorectal Robotic Surgery Cadaveric Dissection Course
The ICENI Centre for Surgical Education and Research
The ICENI Centre, Colchester Hospital, Turner Road, Colchester, Essex, CO4 5JL
Initially accredited November 2013, reaccredited January 2018 - December 2020
- Gastrointestinal Anastomosis Workshop
- Management and Surgery of Reflux Disease
- Bile Duct and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- The STEPS Laparoscopic Colorectal Foundation Course
- Essential Surgical & Laparoscopic Skills for Medical Students
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Course
- Next Steps Part One ‐ Laparoscopic Low Rectal Surgery
- Next Steps Part Two ‐ The Tricky Bits
- Next Steps Part Three ‐ Laparoscopic IBD Surgery
- Training the Trainer Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery (LAPCO TT)
- Basic Knee Arthroscopy
- Basic Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Making Surgery Safer
- Minor Surgery Refresher for GPs
The Minimal Access Therapy Training Unit (MATTU)
Postgraduate Medical School, University of Surrey, Manor Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7WG
Initially accredited July 2014, reaccredited January 2018 - December 2020
- Annual MATTU Oesophago-Gastric Cancer Course-Symposium
- Arthroscopy of the Hindfoot
- Colorectal Masterclass
- Laparoscopic Cholecystecomy course
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery for Theatre Personnel
- Laparoscopic Extra Peritoneal Hernia Masterclass (TEPP)
- Laparoscopic Suturing Course
- Sinus and Skull-Base Course
- TME Masterclass
- UK Forefoot Instructional Course
July 2017- June 2020
A large number of stepwise overviews of orthopaedic operations, using a series of still images with accompanying text, annotations and CPD activities.
University College Hospital Education Centre
The UCH Education Centre, 250 Euston Road, London NW1 2PG
Accredited July 2017 - June 2020
- Basic Knee Arthroscopy
- Train the Trainer
- Enhancing Communication and Feedback Skills
- Practical Preparation for Orthopaedic ST3 Interviews
- Hands-on Gynaecological Laparoscopy Course
Expert Connect Smith & Nephew Surgical Education Centre
Accredited January 2018 - December 2020
Plymouth Dental School
Plymouth University Penninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
Accredited January 2018 - Deember 2020
Edge Hill University Surgical Education Centre
Edge Hill University, St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, L39 4QP
Accredited July 2018 - June 2021
The Edge Hill University Surgical Education Centre accreditation includes all the pathways of the university's MSc Surgical Care Practice and MCh Master of Surgery programmes.
West Midlands Surgical Training Centre
University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust, CLifford Bridge Road, Coventry, CV2 2DX
Accredited July 2018 - June 2021
Cambridge Postgraduate Medical Centre
Including the Evelyn Cambridge Surgical Training Centre, and the Addenbrookes Hospital Simulation Centre.
Accredited July 2018 - June 2021.
Accredited Centres and Organisations (International)
Johnson & Johnson China
We accredit several centres in China as part of an ongoing relationship with Johnson & Johnson Medical China. Below is a list of all our currentlyaccredited centres:
- J&J Medical Centres Shanghai. Initially accredited 2012, reaccredited January 2019 - January 2022. Accredited courses:
- Basic Laparoscopic Training Skills
- Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma
- Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Distal Gastric Cancer
- Laparoscopic Hernia Repair Technique Training Course
- Train the Trainers – Animal & Simulator Lab
- Basic Training in Orthopaedic Technique
- Urology Laparoscopic Course
- Training Course for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery
- Posterior-Only Approach for Total En Bloc Spondylectomy on Porcine Course
- General Surgery Laparoscopic Course
- J&J Medical Centres Beijing. Initially accredited 2012, reaccredited January 2019 - January 2022. Accredited courses are the same as above.
- Hua Xi Minimally Invasive Surgery Training Institute. Initially accredited 2013, reaccredited December 2016 - December 2019. Accredited courses:
- Kick-off course in Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Advanced Course in Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Kick off Training Course for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery
- Advanced Training Course for Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery
- Guangzhou Minimally Invasive Surgery Training Centre. Initially accredited 2013, reaccredited 2018 – 2021. Accredited courses same as above.
- Guangzhou Nan Fang Minimally Invasive Training Centre. Initially accredited 2014; reaccredited 2018- 2021. Accredited courses:
- Kick-Off Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Gastric Cancer
- Advanced Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Gastric Cancer
- Kick-Off Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma
- Advanced Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma
- Training Centre of General Surgery. Accredited 2014 – 2017. Accredited courses:
- Kick off Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma
- Advanced COE Training Course for Laparoscopic Radical Resection of Colorectal Carcinoma
- Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital. Initially accredited 2015, reaccredited January 2019 - January 2022. Accredited course:
- Laparoscopic surgical skills training
- Minimally Invasive Skills Training Centre, Henan Cancer Hospital. Accredited December 2016 - December 2019. Accredited course:
- National Advanced Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy
- Johnson & Changhai Neuro Interventional. Accredited January 2019 - January 2022.
Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital & Research Centre
Deenanath Mangeshkar Hospital & Research Center, Near Mhatre Bridge, Erandawne, Pune 411004, India.
Accredited July 2016 - June 2019
- Core Skills in Laparoscopic Surgery
- Hands on Course in Transoral Laser Surgery and Medialisation Thyroplasty
- Core Skills in Knee Replacement Surgery
- Basic Skills in Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Basic Skills in Endourology
Incision, Mauritskade 63 (room BD-1), 1092 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Accredited April 2017 - March 2020
Incision provides an large number of online surgical education courses via its website.
University of Sharjah (Medical & Dental)
We accredit both the Clinical and Surgical Training Centre and the College of Dental Medicine at the University of Sharjah, UAE.
The Medical School is accredited January 2018 - December 2020, and the Dental College July 2018 - June 2021.
If you have any queries about Surgical Education Centre accreditation that are not covered in our frequently asked questions, please contact the Quality Assurance Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7869 6000.