Communication Skills Course
Good communication is key to successful clinical practice. This Communications Skills Course has been designed specifically for dental practitioners preparing to sit an upcoming overseas registration examination like the LDS or ORE.
The General Dental Council (GDC) has emphasised the importance of effective communication with colleagues, patients, and the public - citing miscommunication as the most common area of complaint against dental professionals.
This course will cover practical techniques for clear, confident communication and covers skills in line with ‘Principle 2: Communicate effectively with patients’ of the GDC’s standards and guidance.
- 1 days
- 5.00 CPD Points
This course is suitable for:
- Candidates wishing to prepare for their upcoming overseas registration examination (LDS or ORE);
- Dental practitioners who have English as a second language; and
- Dental practitioners who wish to enhance their communications in a clinical setting.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and be able to practice effective communication techniques in a professional context
- Observe and understand verbal and non-verbal communication and cues
- Practice active listening and responding skills and appreciate differing perspectives
- Understand ones’ own strengths and weaknesses
- Understand how others may respond to your communication style
- Practice dentistry in a clinical setting with increased confidence
- Manage difficult people, patients and situations in a professional context
This course will be delivered via a series of lectures, demonstrations and workshops.
OSCEs will be performed and deconstructed by a professional actor and experienced clinician, so that participants can gain a better understanding of how to approach communication in a range of scenarios, as well as common mistakes to avoid.
The day will begin at 9.30 am and conclude at 4.30 pm. A light lunch will be provided to all participants.
“The most useful part of the course was being allowed to practice with the actor. This dealt with my main fears and instilled confidence within me.”
“The course was perfect. I cannot express how much it helped in alleviating my fears and giving me insight into what to expect in an examination environment. Thank you!”
There are currently no dates available for this course
Register your interest