Damage Control Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery (DCOTS)
This practical two day course teaches the strategies and skills needed to manage severely injured patients with life-threatening musculoskeletal injuries, often in challenging and time-critical circumstances.
Using unembalmed cadavers, you will practice a range of techniques with an emphasis on rapid control of exsanguinating haemorrhage and resuscitation. Techniques include the use of external fixators, multiple limb fasciotomy and responses to ballistic injuries.
Led by an experienced faculty, by the end of this course will be able to perform damage control with major polytrauma trauma.
RCS membership entitles you to a 10% discount on this course at partner centres. Find out if you're eligible to join or transfer.
This course is supported by:
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
This course is suitable for: ST6-8, consultants, SAS grades and anyone working in trauma and orthopaedic surgery, trauma centres or working with patients with polytrauma.
If you are an SAS grade, we strongly recommended ensuring you have a valid ATLS certificate before taking this course.
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Manage time critical problems in severely injured patients.
- Explain the practical application of damage control resuscitation emphasising control of catastrophic haemorrhage.
- Safely practice proven techniques in haemostasis and damage control in cadaveric simulation.
- Gain rapid vascular control in the actively bleeding patient in cadaveric simulation, both in terms of first aid and in actively assisting other members of the team.
- Perform primary surgical stabilisation of complex open fractures in cadaveric simulation.
- Apply these learning outcomes in order to work more efficiently and effectively in the multi-disciplinary trauma team.
This course centres on practical workshops using unembalmed cadavers. There will also be a range of interactive seminars.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Surgical management of polytrauma
- Latest surgical techniques in managing life threatening musculoskeletal injuries
- Rapid control and resuscitation of exsanguinating haemorrhage
- Establishing haemostasis and damage control
Mapped to the ISCP syllabus and OCAP framework
The Damage Control Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery (DCOTS) course provides broad coverage of the ISCP T&O curriculum.
It also has strong links to the Orthopaedic Competence Assessment Project framework (OCAP).
10% discount on this course for RCS members
Members, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
Find out more about joining today.
Royal College Of Surgeons Courses
Here is an overview of the programmeDCOTS Programme.pdf
Full price: £1199.00
RCS England Members/Fellows: £1079.10
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
BRIGHTON, United Kingdom
Location:Brighton & Sussex Medical School
University of Sussex
View in Google Maps
Not got an account?
Don't worry, continue and we'll create an account for you.Continue to Booking
Alternatively if you need to book offline you can apply here
Register your interest
Contact the education team
Need to talk to us about courses or other RCS education services? Please get in touch.
The RCS Education Centre in London can be contacted directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.