Educational Leadership Programme for Surgeons (ELPS)
Specifically developed for senior staff who are currently or about to become surgical tutors, this interactive course lays out different styles of leadership and the advanced skills and attitudes of an effective leader, manager, and mentor in a surgical environment.
Various models are introduced during the two-day course to support the learning, incorporating current challenges attendees may be facing.
In the gap between the first and second day, you will work on one or more particular issues. This helps attendees to work through challenges in a systematic way and to plan strategies to deal with them.
Each course runs in two, one-day sessions that are 6-8 weeks apart. Participants must attend both dates shown against their chosen course and complete preparatory work for both days.
RCS membership entitles you to a 10% discount on this course at partner centres. Find out if you're eligible to join or transfer.
- 2 days
- 11.00 CPD Points
This course is suitable for anyone in (or about to enter) an educational leadership position, including:
- RCS Surgical Tutors (including other College Tutors)
- SAS Tutors
- Senior Educational Supervisors
- Training Programme Directors
- Heads of Schools of Surgery and other Heads of School
- Regional Specialty Professional Advisors
- Regional Directors
Participants should meet the following criteria to be eligible for the course:
- Experience of teaching in practice or in the classroom
- Experience of educational supervision
- Have undertaken an educational supervision course such as Training and Assessment in the Clinical Environment (TrACE), or equivalent
- Be committed to surgical education
- Be at Consultant level, or SAS Doctor
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- More confidently and skilfully provide educational leadership in your workplace
- Demonstrate self-awareness and recognise the importance of personal qualities in being an effective leader
- Demonstrate an awareness of concepts of management and leadership, plus distinguish differences between them
- Better understand your personal educational leadership position and its role both internally and externally
- Identify resources available for educational support and personal development for the surgeons within your Trust
- Develop a structured plan to effect a ‘SMART’ change
- Outline the principles of coaching and mentoring, understanding when each is appropriate
- Review the influence of the key educational stakeholders in your workplace
- Recognise your own sphere of influence and how you might enhance and expand it
This course begins with an eLearning module that includes a variety of pre-course preparation activities. This is followed by two face-to-face days, which include a range of practical exercises and discussions.
The course also allows you to link a real-life project from your workplace to the practical sessions.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Introduction to leadership (including Kotter)
- Medical Leadership Competency Framework (MLCF)
- Mentoring and coaching
- Power and influence
- Stakeholder analysis
Full price: £399.00
RCS England Members/Fellows: £359.10
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
LONDON, United Kingdom
Location:Etc Venues (Prospero House)
View in Google Maps
Register your interest
Contact the education team
Need to talk to us about courses or other RCS education services? Please get in touch.
The RCS Education Centre in London can be contacted directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.