Management and leadership (supporting ISFE)
This course will help you prepare for the health service management viva component of the Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Examination (ISFE).
You will build upon your existing knowledge of NHS structure, policy and management through a broad range of practical skills scenarios.
- 1 days
- 6.00 CPD Points
- describe the framework for higher specialist training in the UK;
- list strategies for dealing with patient complaints;
- discuss the role of the clinical director;
- describe how to manage an NHS dental referral unit.
The course includes contributions from a number of clinicians familiar with NHS policy and with experience in healthcare delivery. This course will be delivered face-to-face at RCS England.
This course aims to prepare ISFE candidates for the critical appraisal and health service management viva component contained within the ISFE examination. It will highlight the perspectives for all future specialists and consultants on healthcare outcomes, purpose and functioning of policy and management within the NHS.
As a consultant your professional lives will be challenged in a diverse number of ways. To survive this, it is imperative you possess a wide range of managerial skills.
- competency in managing difficult colleagues;
- conducting consultant appraisal;
- assessing performance management;
- providing feedback;
- ensuring effective and harmonious team working;
- being capable of problem solving;
- remaining effective in committee work;
- providing clinical supervision;
- maintaining effective patient communication.
Your own organisation effectiveness depends upon your contribution to policy making and mapping, and you will require a contemporary understanding of population health needs and NHS policy.
Our aim in this revision course is to integrate your previous learning on NHS structure, policy and management so that you can apply your knowledge to a number of scenarios specifically aimed at those set down in the syllabus for the ISFE section on Management of Healthcare Delivery.
The range of topics and scenarios discussed will be pertinent to those likely to be encountered in the ISFE Examination within the dental specialties.
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please register your interest and we will email you when the next dates are announced.
Register your interest
Contact the FDS education team
If you have a question about a course please don't hesitate to get in touch. Remember to tell us which course you are referring to.