Surgical Training for Austere Environments (STAE)
This interactive five-day course teaches the essential surgical decision-making strategies and techniques for surgeons working in austere conditions.
You will use unembalmed cadavers to practice procedures commonly required in a humanitarian crisis, conflict zone or catastrophe aftermath.
Our expert faculty will share hands-on experience gained through their work in places such as Afghanistan, Darfur and Haiti.
Scholarships are available from the David Nott Foundation.
- 5 days
- 30.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Work in a humanitarian crisis, providing emergency surgical care to populations exposed to or recovering from the health consequences of conflict and natural or man-made catastrophe
- Make resource based triage decisions
- Perform a range of surgical procedures, including management of extremity injuries, trauma and amputations
- Describe issues and challenges facing surgeons and other medical specialties in austere environments
- Manage obstetric and gynaecological emergencies, including understanding when and how to safely perform a caesarean section
- Handle the normal range of abdominal emergencies affecting a civilian population in resource-constrained environments
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Cases associated with conflict and catastrophe, particularly penetrating and crush injuries as well as the management of trauma of the limbs, head, thorax and torso
- Post-disaster/conflict procedures including skin flaps and grafts, and the management of orthopaedic fractures using external fixation and traction
- Decision-making and management of obstetric emergencies including post-partum haemorrhage and caesarean section in austere environments
Course developed with DFID and UKMed
This course has been developed with support from the governmental Department for International Development (DFID) and also from registered NGO UKMed.
Here is an overview of the programmeSTAE Programme.pdf
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
MANCHESTER, United Kingdom
Location:Manchester Surgical Skills and Simulation Centre
Manchester Surgical Skills and Simulation Centre
United Kingdom View in Google Maps
Not got an account?
Don't worry, continue and we'll create an account for you.Continue to Booking
Alternatively if you need to book offline you can apply here
Register your interest
Contact the education team
If you have a question about this course please don't hesitate to get in touch.
We always aim to respond as soon as possible during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. Please call us with anything urgent.
Telephone: 020 7869 6300
We are available to take calls during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. There is a voicemail outside these times.
Fax: 020 7869 6320