Training and Assessment in the Clinical Environment (TrACE)
The TrACE course has now been replaced by the Excellence in Surgical Supervision course.
- 1 day
- 6.00 CPD Points
This course is designed for consultants who are, or who are about to become, designated clinical or educational supervisors.
Senior trainees (ST7-8) and SAS grades at an equivalent level who have a particular interest/expertise in surgical education may also be interested in this course.
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Compare and contrast the roles of trainer, clinical and educational supervisor
- Work constructively with individual differences
- Describe the impact of bullying and harassment on the individual and the wider organisation
- Outline the principles of effective assessment and feedback, with particular reference to workplace based assessments including the ARCP
- Devise ways for working more effectively with trainees, including those identified as being in difficulty
- Conduct a successful educational appraisal
Participants are required to undertake some preliminary e-learning delivered via the Education website.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- The differences in roles, responsibilities and requirements for trainers, for educational and for clinical supervisors
- Principles of assessment and feedback
- Supporting trainees in difficulty
- Conducting effective appraisals
- Equality and diversity in training
- Dignity at work, including bullying and harassment
Mapped to GMC Standards for the Recognition and Approval of Trainers.
TrACE is mapped against the seven areas of competency as outlined in the GMC Standards for the Recognition and Approval of Trainers. This means it provides an approved route to the required formal recognition as a clinical or educational supervisor.
Courses to complete first
Before taking this course, we recommended completing the Training the Trainers: Developing Teaching Skills course, or an equivalent such as our ATLS instructor course or a post-graduate certificate or masters in medical education.
10% discount on this course for RCS members
Members, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
Full price: £365
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Instructions:Ms F Sheridan, email@example.com, 0151 7063580 View in Google Maps
Full price: £365
Before booking at the centre, please follow these steps:
Not got an account?Register to continue
Register your interest
Contact the education team
Need to talk to us about courses or other RCS education services? Please get in touch.
The RCS Education Centre in London can be contacted directly on firstname.lastname@example.org
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.