Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS)
The Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS), awarded by the Faculty of General Dental Practice (UK), has now replaced the Certificate in Minor Oral Surgery and provides dental practitioners with invaluable hands-on oral surgery experience.
Candidates may apply for this examination by completing the DPCOS application form and following the instrcutions provided.
- In order to be eligible for admission to the final assessment, participants must complete to the satisfaction of relevant teaching staff the prescribed period of study and satisfy any other conditions as which may be prescribed within the programme (including attendance at all course unit days and successful completion of all course assessments).
- 25 completed cases should have been approved, from which the participant will be required to submit and will be assessed on two.
Read more about invigilators.
Read exam regulations.
- The final assessment will be in the form of a 40-minute viva examination. Each candidate will be assessed by two examiners on two submitted cases.
- One or more cases may be selected in order to demonstrate that the participant has had a thorough understanding of the scientific and clinical principles underlying the treatment that has been undertaken.
- The participant should demonstrate the ability to recognise any shortfall within the material that has been presented, identify the improvements that could be made and demonstrate what he or she has learnt from it.
- The participant should have demonstrated creative thought processes in the management of the problems that were faced and demonstrated the ability to search for a satisfactory solution.
The full course syllabus for the Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery can be found at the FGDP website.
How to apply
|Title||Deadline date for submitting cases||Exam date||Course & exam fee|
|Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS)||15 November 2019
||7 December 2019
£1000 - First attempt is included within the course fee
The Diploma in Primary Care Oral Surgery (DPCOS) is a two year programme with a final assessment in the form of structured clinical reasoning and portfolio submission at year 2.
All applications must be received by 5pm on the closing date. Please read our exams guidance before applying.
Contact the exams department
All dental exam queries (excluding the MFDS) should be emailed to DentalExams@rcseng.ac.uk
All document submissions for eligibility should be emailed to DentalEligibility@rcseng.ac.uk
Candidates should not post any documents to our offices.
Thank you for your enquiry. We will reply to you as soon as possible.
For general exam queries please call 020 7405 3474 - Option 3
Our main switchboard is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.