RCS/NIHR Surgical Technology Evaluation Portal Launched
The Surgical Technology Evaluation Portal (STEP) provides companies and innovators with a single point of access to clinicians and researchers in the NHS, for the purpose of undertaking research on new surgical medical devices and technologies.
The STEP was developed by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and the Royal College of Surgeons in order to provide:
- early engagement with specialist research, clinical and technical experts and teams in the NHS
- efficient development of the device or technology
- safe and high-quality research
- access to clinical trials specialists, including the NIHR Clinical Research Network
- support with generation of evidence
- rapid feedback to the innovator or company
By linking world-leading researchers in the NIHR with research active surgeons, the resulting multidisciplinary teams can provide rapid feedback to the innovator and undertake high-quality collaborative research. This can support the generation of evidence that could lead to faster and safer adoption of new surgical technologies into the NHS.
The STEP is available to any companies or innovators who are looking to develop innovative surgical medical devices and technologies. It is not able to support research into existing technologies or devices.
Further information about STEP can be found on the NIHR Office for Clinical Research Infrastructure website.