Clinical Skills in Spinal Assessment and Management
This highly popular two-day course teaches the essential clinical skills for assessing and managing patients presenting with spinal conditions in the emergency, outpatients and surgical inpatients departments.
Through a series of practical workshops, lectures and discussions, you will cover spinal pain and spinal injuries, including application of the Halo head ring, plus complications and how to avoid them.
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss the core principles of spinal surgery and perioperative management
- Safely handle a patient with potential spinal injury
- Manage a physiologically compromised spinal patient
- Apply the Halo head ring
- Carry out case reviews using mini-CEX for spinal and neurological examination
- Review the methods used to assess in-patients with an injured or painful spine
- Demonstrate a range of practical techniques used in spinal surgery in case based discussions
There are also several mini-CEXs throughout the course, giving you the chance to demonstrate your knowledge.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
Day one - the injured spine module
- Spinal compromise (previously cord and root compromise)
- Handling of the patient with potential spinal injury practical sessions
- Application of Halo head ring/tongs
- Log rolls and spinal boards - complications and how to avoid them/cervical collars
- Handling the spinal injured patient in the OR (TSTT)
- Spinal and neurological assessment
- Imaging and stability in spinal injury
Day two - the painful spine module
- Cervical spine practical
- Spinal history (including red and yellow flags) and examination in children
- Care of the spinal patient with neurological compromise
- Principles of spinal surgery and perioperative management
10% discount on this course for RCS members
Members, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
There are currently no dates available for this course. Please register your interest and we will email you when the next dates are announced.
Register your interest
Contact the education team
If you have a question about this course please don't hesitate to get in touch.
We always aim to respond as soon as possible during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. Please call us with anything urgent.
Telephone: 020 7869 6300
We are available to take calls during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. There is a voicemail outside these times.
Fax: 020 7869 6320