Illness to wellness conference
View in Google Maps
Recent studies have revealed a high level of burnout among doctors and medical students in the UK. Pressure within the profession has lead to serious psychological and emotional conditions. So, how can medical professionals support themselves and their teams?
How will I benefit?
Attending this event will provide:
- tips and discussions on how to prevent burnout and build resilience in the surgical team.
- an insight into how the RCS and other organisations are working to support surgeons and the theatre teams.
- develop and understanding of the personal impact of adverse events and the availability of formal and informal support.
The programme includes sessions on:
- responding to adverse outcomes;
- avoiding burnout and understanding different coping styles;
- working to support doctors wellbeing;
- the difference between complications and errors;
- effectiveness of psychological interventions.
- Dr Clare Gerada – Medical Director of the NHS Practioner Health Programme
- Professor Neil Mortensen - Vice President of the RCS
- Professor Kevin Turner – Consultant Urologist
- Tom Rapanakis – Head of Wellbeing Services, BMA
- Dr Helen Bolderston - Chartered Clinical Psychologist and senior lecturer in Psychology at Bournemouth University.
Please find provisional programme here.
Who should attend?
This free* one day conference is open to all specialties and career grades. Surgeons, anaesthetists and other members of the surgical team are welcome to join us to explore how we can work together to promote and support mental health and wellbeing among the theatre staff.
Are you a member of the RCS? Fellows and members are entitled to discounts off events like this one, plus many more membership benefits including 10% off selected education courses, careers advice, case studies and resources and access to regular e-newsletters and popular publications. Find out more about our membership benefits today.
* Free event for RCS and RCoA members and fellows (refundable deposit). Please note the Eventbrite admin fee is non refundable.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with the events team at email@example.com
Tom is responsible for the BMA’s provision of Wellbeing support services to doctors and medical students across the UK. This includes 24/7 counselling and peer support, available regardless of BMA membership. He sits on the board for DocHealth, an independent psychotherapy service for doctors. Tom is part of the organising committee for the International Conference on Physician Health, and a member of the steering group for the England-wide rollout of PHP.