Pearson and RCS explore virtual reality training for surgeons
17 Nov 2016
Pearson, the world's learning company has announced a new partnership with the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) to explore the use of immersive technology to help train and support a new generation of surgeons.
Pearson is a leader in the use of immersive education including: mixed reality, virtual reality and 360° interactive content. As part of a new six month memorandum of understanding, both parties will seek to work together to design and develop immersive learning solutions and products to meet specific educational needs of surgical training. This will include content for use on mixed reality devices such as Microsoft HoloLens, and virtual reality devices like GearVR, Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. The new partnership was announced at this week’s Giant Health Expo in London.
Andrew Reed, Chief Executive of the Royal College of Surgeons commented:
“As a world-leading provider of surgical education and training the Royal College of Surgeons is delighted to be working with Pearson to explore the opportunities that immersive technology offers. This technology has the potential to fundamentally change the way we train both the surgical team and the individual surgeon ultimately improving outcomes for surgical patients’.
Andy Moss, Senior Vice President for UK Higher Education at Pearson commented:
"New digital technologies offer real opportunities to make learning more flexible, more accessible, more personal and more effective. We know that in some delicate, and potentially life threatening situations, immersive training and other forms of artificial intelligence can provide a highly realistic but safe learning environment, and we look forward to partnering with the RCS to help train a new generation of surgeons".
Notes to editors
1. The Royal College of Surgeons of England is a professional membership organisation and registered charity, which exists to advance surgical standards and improve patient care.
2. Pearson is the world’s learning company, with expertise in educational courseware and assessment, and a range of teaching and learning services powered by technology. Our mission is to help people make progress through access to better learning. We believe that learning opens up opportunities, creating fulfilling careers and better lives.
3. For more information, please contact the Press Office:
- Telephone: 020 7869 6047/6052
- Email: email@example.com
- Out of hours media enquiries: 07966 486832