Please enter both an email address and a password.

Account login

Need to reset your password?  Enter the email address which you used to register on this site (or your membership/contact number) and we'll email you a link to reset it. You must complete the process within 2hrs of receiving the link.

We've sent you an email

An email has been sent to Simply follow the link provided in the email to reset your password. If you can't find the email please check your junk or spam folder and add to your address book.

Postgraduate Dental Courses

This table lists the names and telephone numbers of universities and colleges where you can study for postgraduate degrees and diplomas.


School/University Telephone
University of Belfast +44 (0)1232 240 503
University of Birmingham +44 (0)121 237 2763
University of Bristol +44 (0)117 928 4524
University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff +44 (0)29 2074 4356
University of Chester +44 (0)1244 511000
University of Dundee +44 (0)1382 635 979
Edinburgh Dental Institute +44 (0)131 536 4965
University of Kent +44 (0)1227 764000
University of Glasgow +44 (0)141 211 9704
University of Leeds +44 (0)113 343 6420
University of Liverpool +44 (0)151 794 5928
UCL Eastman Dental Institute +44 (0)20 3456 1092
King's College London +44 (0)20 7836 5454
University College London +44 (0)20 7679 2000
Royal London and St Barts +44 (0)20 7377 7747
University of Manchester +44 (0)161 275 6603
University of Newcastle +44 (0)191 222 7002
University of Sheffield +44 (0)114 271 7803
University of Chester +44 (0)1224 511000
University of Central Lancashire +44 (0)1772 201 201
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh +44 (0)131 527 1600
The Royal College of Surgeons of England +44 (0)20 7405 3474
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow +44 (0)141 221 6072
The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland +(353) 1 402 2100
BPP University +44 03303 330 380
City of London Dental School +44 (0) 207 232 5270

University dental schools in the UK offer postgraduate programmes in a variety of dental subjects.  The postgraduate courses offered may be: Diplomas, Masters or Doctorates. When choosing a course you need to consider the reason for studying in the UK and the usefulness of the course to you when you return to your home country.  While you are a postgraduate student in the UK you will have a Tier 4 visa with your university being the sponsor.  Universities in the UK do not usually consider applicants for Master’s degree courses, who have just completed their undergraduate studies to qualify as a dentist.  It is better to have at least two years’ experience of general dentistry before applying for a higher degree course.

Length of courses

The length of courses will vary depending on whether the course is full time or part time, and may take from one to two years, or in a few cases up to five years.


Overseas student rates are likely to be applicable for candidates from outside the EEA.  Make sure your funding is sufficient to cover your course fees, living costs and accommodation in the UK.  When you make your application for a visa to study in the UK you will need to show that you have sufficient funds to cover all these expenses.  In general, degrees offering an element of clinical training will be more expensive than non-clinical degrees.

When you start looking at university websites you will need to be very clear about whether you will be charged “home student fees” or “overseas student fees”.  Please remember that living in the UK for three years does not automatically entitle you to pay “home student fees”.  In order to be eligible for “home student fees” you must first have settled immigration status in the UK before your course begins.  Settled means that you are a British Citizen or have the right of abode or indefinite leave to remain in the UK. More details can be found on the UKCISA website.

Types of Degree

MSc courses will give you an in depth knowledge of a particular subject.  Some postgraduate degree courses enable postgraduate students to embark on a programme leading to eligibility to enter for specialist membership examinations with one of the UK Royal Colleges.  You must always check this aspect with your course organiser before enrolling.

Other factors you need to consider include:

  • is it a research degree or a taught course? 
  • are you applying for a dental postgraduate degree as opposed to a more general or non-dental postgraduate degree/diploma which may be considerably cheaper but have limited relevance for dentistry?

Travel to the UK or distance learning degree?

Do you want to study for a higher degree but would find it difficult to leave home to live in the UK for the duration of a degree course?  You may have family commitments or be unable to afford to give up practice whilst studying in the UK.  If this is the case then you should consider a distance learning course.  There are several universities that offer this sort of programme in the UK.  The university that has pioneered these courses is Kings College London.

After being awarded a postgraduate degree in the UK

A postgraduate degree (MSc or PhD) is not an alternative route to becoming a dentist in the UK. If you are required to sit a registration examination you will need to pass either the ORE or the LDS to go on the GDC register.

Always remember that registration as a dentist in the UK with your name entered on the Dental Register is an entirely separate consideration from your eligibility to enter, remain or work in the UK.

Share this page: