Pre-hospital and Emergency Department Resuscitative Thoracotomy
This intensive one-day course focuses on the resuscitative thoracotomy and how to apply this technique in trauma resuscitation.
You will be able to practice surgical skills using animal tissue as well as learning approaches to decision-making and damage control, with an emphasis on working as part of the trauma team.
This course is led by a highly skilled faculty of surgeons and emergency medicine physicians, all highly experienced in performing and managing resuscitative thoracotomy.
RCS England membership entitles you to a 10% discount on this course at partner centres. Find out if you're eligible to join or transfer.
To see a list of our current Pre-hospital and Emergency Department Resuscitative Thoracotomy course centres please click here (correct as of May 2020)
- 1 day
- 6.00 CPD Points
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Explain the principles and decision-making process for when a resuscitative thoracotomy is indicated.
- Identify anatomy relevant to resuscitative thoracotomy.
- Manage the arrested patient as part of the trauma team before and during resuscitative thoracotomy.
- Describe the preparation needed for a resuscitative thoracotomy, including effective team resource management.
- List the four stages of dealing with cardiac injury through resuscitative thoracotomy.
- Perform the following procedures at a level appropriate to your level of training:
- Clamshell thoracotomy
- Opening the pericardium
- Internal massage of the heart
- Repairing a hole in the heart
- Key non-cardiac interventions
- Manage the post-procedural patient.
This course combines practical skills workshops using animal (porcine) tissue with lectures, decision-making scenarios and case based discussions.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Resuscitative thoracotomy
- Closing up and managing post-operative patients
- Internal defibrillation
- Repairing a hole including:
- Suturing inside the chest
- Pledgeted sutures
- Skin staples
- Non-cardiac injury including:
- Mobilising a lung
- Lung twist
- Injuries to the heart:
- Basic tissue handling techniques
- Improving access
10% discount on this course for RCS members
Members, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
Full price: £699.00
RCS England Members/Fellows: £629.10
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
LONDON, United Kingdom
Location:Royal College of Surgeons
35-43 Lincoln's Inn Fields
020 7869 6300 View in Google Maps
Not got an account?
Don't worry, continue and we'll create an account for you.Continue to Booking
Register your interest
Further information and queries
You can get in touch with us by emailing email@example.com
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.