Further Links and Resources
This page outlines further resources that may support surgeons and surgical services in implementing change through audit and review of data and outcomes. Many of these resources are freely available to staff within the NHS.
University Hospital Bristol NHS Foundation Trust: The audit team have developed useful ‘How to guides’ on many aspects of audit
The Clinical Audit Support Centre provides healthcare staff and clinical audit professionals with resources to assist with of clinical audit.
Clinical quality indicators
NHS Evidence have links to many published surgical indicators, including meta-analyses of effectiveness and research on best practice in development
Patient Reportes Outcome Measures (PROMs)
The following websites have information on Patient reported outcome measures:
- NHS Institute
- NHS Digital
The patient experience portal is an online resource of research and experience with regards to measuring patient experience
The NHS Institute has a whole section on capturing and improving patient experience:
- Seven Step Measurement Process outlines a 7 step process that links data collection, analysis, finding and reporting patterns and communicating both the decisions and the process to patients and the public
- Transforming the patient experience: the essential guide
- Feedback methods
Healthcare Intelligence is part of Population Health service within the Health Service Executive (HSE). They focus on three main areas:
- Development of evidence-based tools to support key strategic and operational decision-making needs
- Enabling health service staff to use a range health intelligence, evidence, and knowledge for health
- Enabling Research and Development in the health system
Association of Public Health Observatories (APHO) represents a network of 12 public health observatories (PHOs) working across all devolved nations. They produce information, data and intelligence on people's health and health care for practitioners, policy makers and the wider community.
Welsh Health Analysts Network (WHAN) shares knowledge in the health information and intelligence community across Wales.
Quality improvement methodology
HQIP have developed excellent guidance on different quality improvement methodologies called 'Guide to Quality Improvement Methods'
NHS Improving Quality publish a monthly Improvement Science Alert which outlines latest research and publications in improvement science.
Getting help with finding the information you need
The Standards Department within the RCS are happy to support surgeons, managers, commissioners and patients with information about improving surgical care. To contact us please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The online catalogue for the Information and Library service of The King’s Fund is freely available. Coverage includes policy and management of health and social care services (not clinical issues and treatments) 1979 to present.
This is a network that has a large list of resources that cover the following:
- Bereavement & Loss
- Cancer services & support
- Clinical Audit
- Equality & Diversity
- Quality Improvement
- Health & Wellbeing
- Mentoring & Coaching
- Networks & networking
- New Technologies
- Patient and Public Involvement/Improving Patients' Experience
- Patient Safety
- Self-care management of long-term Conditions
- Service Improvement among allied health professionals