Funding Surgical Research
As a registered charity (no. 212808), the College plays a vital role in supporting surgical research within the UK. Every year the College awards competitive research fellowship grants for specific projects that aim to advance surgical standards and improve patient care.
The College relies on voluntary donations from legacies, individuals, charitable trusts and companies to support its surgical research programme.
Future innovations in surgery will continue to be driven by research and we need further funding so that more surgical research can be supported which will extend the frontiers of surgery through clinical research and the development of new operative techniques.
Surgical research films - Please take a few minutes to watch our short films to learn how patients are benefiting from surgical research.
Surgical research, the facts:
- In 2014-15, 4,700,000 hospital admissions resulted in surgical care in England
- High-quality research improves practice
- Less than 5% of Government funding for health research is spent on surgical projects
- 7 is the average number of surgical episodes we will experience in our lifetime
- Approximately 90% of cancer patients have some type of surgery for diagnosis, initial treatment, or management of complications
- Every minute 9 hospital admissions in England result in surgical care
- Over 600 research fellowships awarded since 1993 as well as 90 pump priming grants to newly appointed consultant surgeons to continue their research
- In the last 20 years the College, through the Research Fellowship Scheme, has committed more than £25 million to support over 600 individual trainee surgeons in the UK and abroad
- The RCS awards 25-30 fellowships every year .
Donating to Surgical Research
Please help the College support cutting-edge research projects dedicated to enhancing and saving lives.
Donate online here or contact us using the information below.
The College is very grateful to all those individuals, charitable trusts, companies, who have supported the surgical research programme. We would particularly like to acknowledge the following:
- Dinwoodie Charitable Company
- Dunhill Medical Trust
- Enid Linder Foundation
- Frances & Augustus Newman Foundation
- Freemasons Fund for Surgical Research
- George Drexler Foundation
- Philip King Charitable Settlement
- Mary Kinross Charitable Trust
- Rosetrees Trust
- Shears Foundation
We'd love to talk to you about supporting our work...
Legacies are vital to the ongoing work of the College in Research, Education & Heritage. Please give us a call to discuss further or to let us know if you'd like to pledge support to the RCS in you will.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss how you can support the vital work of the College in our pursuit of advancing surgical care.
Thanks you for your enquiry. We will reply to you as soon as possible.
Telephone 020 7869 6086 to talk with a member of our fundraising team
Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm.