National Careers Week 2020
Career resources and information to help you succeed
National Careers Week is a celebration of careers guidance and free resources in education across the UK. We have decided to take part in the national campaign again this year, producing a range of content around myth-busting the stereotypes surrounding careers in surgery.
RCS Affiliate membership grants you access to advice, resources and opportunities to help you stand out from the crowd. Not only will it support you throughout your training, it also demonstrates your commitment to surgery in your foundation and core application.
Join the Affiliate membership for only £15 per year.
Webinar: Surgical myth-busting
We are hosting a FREE online session for RCS and FDS members and affiliates where we break down the surgical stereotypes and myths perpetuated by TV medical dramas such as Grey’s Anatomy and ER.
The webinar will take place on Wednesday 4 March from 6-7pm.
Surgeons' stories on Instagram
From 2–6 March, we will be sharing short videos on Instagram of real surgeons highlighting some key stereotypes of the profession.
Topics discussed will include:
• Various opportunities to take part in research as a trainee;
• Myths around technology replacing humans in surgery;
• Leadership in med students and trainee surgeons;
• How a good work/life balance makes you a better surgeon.
International Women’s Day 2020: celebrating diversity in surgery
The Women in Surgery forum is hosting an evening to mark International Women’s Day 2020 and celebrate diversity in surgery. The evening will be comprised of a drinks reception followed by short speeches on the theme of diversity.
Venue: Hyatt Regency, Birmingham
Workshop: redefining leadership
We are hosting a leadership workshop at the ASiT conference which will comprise of a 45-minute interactive session, allowing participants to focus on what leadership means to them, reflect on how great leaders think and act, and how to enhance one’s leadership style and impact.
No registration required
- Amtul Carmichael: Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon, RCS Faculty
- Greta McLachlan: Cleveland Clinic Leadership Fellow
- Rebecca Martin: RCS Head of Learning Innovation
- Elise Omfalos: RCS Educator
Careers articles and resources
We have a variety of online resources available on our website for medical students and trainees looking to start a career in surgery
- Career progression after core surgical training
- National selection - fit for purpose?
- Practical anatomy teaching in medical schools
- Emotions in teaching surgery to medical students
- What are the differences between medical schools that graduate more aspiring surgeons than others?
- Choosing your surgical specialty
- How to get ahead in surgery
- What is surgery like as a career?