Vacancies for Regional and Devolved Nation Directors
The role of the Regional Director is to lead RCS England’s local engagement with our fellows, members, other surgical professionals and key stakeholder groups in the regions and nations of the UK. The purpose of Regional Directors is to build relationships, gather local feedback about the key issues in surgery and work with the College to facilitate local support for members and fellows.
The College currently has two Regional Director vacancy as follows:
Regional Director, London (South)
Regional Director, Scotland
Information about applying
- Applications for the above post are invited from surgeons working in the relevant region or nation. You must complete the application form – please note that CVs will not be accepted.
- The successful applicant will receive a College induction and support. The College will pay travel expenses associated with the role.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview and asked to give a five-minute presentation outlining how they would deliver the core functions in the role description within their region.
- For further information and to apply, please see the role descriptions and application form below.
- The closing date for applications is Friday 30 September 2022.
- For queries about the application process, please contact the team at OutreachSouth@rcseng.ac.uk (Regional Director, London South) or OutreachNorth@rcseng.ac.uk (Regional Director, Scotland)
- Regional Director (English regions) role description and person specification
- Application form (London South)
- Regional Director (Scotland) role description and person specification
- Application form (Scotland)
Guidance notes for applicants
- Employment status: Applicants must be substantive consultants or Specialty or Associate Specialist (SAS) working within the regions specified. Retired consultants who are no longer than two years out of clinical practice and who were working as substantive consultants within the regions listed above prior to retirement may also apply.
- Fellowship of surgical Royal Colleges: Fellows of any of the surgical Royal Colleges of Great Britain and Ireland are eligible to apply. However, successful applicants who are not Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of England will be expected to take up the Fellowship via transfer at the time of taking up the post.
- Supporting statement: Applicants should aim to demonstrate how they have the knowledge, skills and attitudes asked for in the person specification. Please add any other relevant information that you feel supports your application.
- Job share applicants: Job share applicants will be expected to submit one application form per applicant. They will also need to complete the section on the application outlining why the job share model is suitable and beneficial for the region and how the job share arrangement will work in practice, e.g. along geographical lines, and a coherent proposal for delivering the core functions in the job description as a joint enterprise.