Appraisal for Surgeons
Appraisal is a process of regular review to ensure that a surgeon is meeting the requirements of the GMC. It also offers surgeons the opportunity to consider their professional development needs.
Appraisal reviews your performance in four areas:
- knowledge, skills and performance
- safety and quality
- communication, partnership, and teamwork
- maintaining trust
Download the GMC’s good medical practice framework.
According to the GMC, there are six types of supporting information you will be expected to provide and discuss at your appraisal. These are:
- continuing professional development
- quality improvement activity
- significant events
- feedback from colleagues
- feedback from patients
- review of complaints and compliments