FGDP members wishing to transfer
You will have been contacted by RCS England explaining that the College proposes to transfer the activities, staff and membership of FGDP(UK) to a new independent college looking after the interests of primary care dentistry. Any FGDP(UK) member who wishes to remain at the RCS England as part of the FDS will be offered the opportunity to join.
Why join the Faculty of Dental surgery?
- Access to award winning publications, the Bulletin, Annals, FDJ.
- Regular e-newsletters keeping you up to date with news, faculty activities and messages from the Dean.
- Financial support including bursaries, awards and prestigious research fellowship helping you to get ahead.
- State of the art facilities in our new building.
- Access to leadership programmes including The Lady Estelle Wolfson Emerging Leaders Fellowship.
- Access to develop your knowledge and skills with e-Den, an online interactive learning resource delivered by FDS in partnership with Health Education England (HEE).
Find out more about FDS benefits.
How to transfer your membership to FDS
We welcome any FGDP members who wish to transfer to our Faculty. FGDP members wishing to transfer should confirm their preference via the online form in the first instance. The process of transferring to FDS will depend upon the qualifications held by the individual:
- If you have the MJDF qualification, as long as you have indicated your preference to join FDS in the form, you do not need to do anything else as your membership will be automatically transferred from 1st July.
- If you have the MFGDP qualification (or an earlier FGDP membership qualification), you are eligible for MFDS ad eundum via route A. This is a fast-track route for those who hold a membership qualification with one of the royal colleges of the UK. Simply complete this form and return it to us via email.
- If you joined FGDP via a non examined route and have no membership examination qualification, you may apply for MFDS ad eundem via the slightly longer route B process. Please complete this this form and return it to us via email or send us a copy of your CV, so that your application can be considered by the FDS Fellowship and Awards Committee when it next meets.
Introducing inclusive activities for members transferring to FDS
In addition to these existing membership benefits, FDS will be introducing new activities to ensure that we can be more inclusive of our new members transferring from FGDP, many of whom will be practicing general dentistry. We will also be warmly inviting our new members to participate in existing activities. In particular, we aim to:
- Expand our portfolio of courses to include more education material that will be of interest to general dentists. (The majority of our courses are already relevant to the general dentist, and as an FDS member you will enjoy discounted course fees.)
- Add new assessments to our list of examinations and assessments with a view to providing qualifications that will be relevant to the general dentist.
- Develop new categories of FDS membership so that we can welcome other members of your dental teams to the Faculty.
- Application opportunities for FDS roles as these become vacant.
- Set up a working group comprising some members of FDS Board and new members joining from FGDP (who will be invited to apply to the working group) to look at what the new members want.
If you have more questions regarding the transfer process please contact us or check the FAQ section.